Here's to the New Year

The holidays had come and gone, and everything was coming to a calm. Fitz and Bina went somewhere warm and sunny, Lihn and Tam did something together, Keefe went MIA, and Dex and I  together with our families. It was a good holiday, doing a lot of nothing and being with my family. Somehow Grady wrapped me into giving Verdi a bath, which was not a pleasant experience. With the break coming to an end, along with this year, I decided to throw a New Years Eve party. 

"Hey, Sweetie?" Called my mom from inside the house. 

"Yes," I called back, trying to hang up some very stubborn lights outside.

"Can you come in when you get a second?" 

"Coming." I put down the lights in frustration and nearly fall when going down the ladder. 

"Whoa, their Foster. We don't want to start the new year with you in the hospital, now would we?"

I turn to see Keefe standing behind me, hands in his pockets, and a mischevious grin on his face. "Keefe!" I barrel into him, giving him a big hug. 

"Hi there." He chuckles awkwardly, "Who knew you would be so excited to see me?  I mean you must have been so deprived without my good looks, hair, and an amazing sense of humor," he said gesturing to himself.

"Oh, just shut up, you," I say and hit his arm. 

"Ow," he complains and rubs his arm in mock hurt. "You totally deserve that. You went completely off the radar. I mean you must have had a really good holiday then."

He rubs the back of his neck looking sheepish, "Actually-"

"Sophie?" Edaline calls again. 

"Comming mom. Totally forgot I needed to go in. Come on." I grab his hand as I drag Keefe into the kitchen, where Edaline stood, hands full of flour.

"Edaline, this is Keefe," I say introducing the two. 

"Hi, their honey. Sophie, I need to know; I made mallowmelt but I need to know whether or not to make raspberry or mint riffle puffs."

"Ugh. Why do you leave me with all the hard choices? Keefe, would you rather have raspberry or mint?"

He stood with confusion etched into his face. "I'm sorry what are Mellon-rift-puffs or whatever you just said?"   

"Sorry I forgot you don't know what those are." I facepalm myself repeatedly mentally, "they are family recipes that are so delicious and I never get enough of them." I get a dreamy look on my face just imagining being able to eat them in a couple of hours.

Edaline laughs, "you and Grady both."

"And Grady what? Oo! Is that mallowmelt I smell?" Speaking of which, Grady walks into the room. 

"I was just telling Sophie's new friend here how I have two mallowmelt monsters living in my house." 

Grady finally spots the new person in the room. "And who might this be?"

"Hi, Mr..."

"Ruewen"

"Mr. Ruewen. I'm Keefe." He sticks out a hand to shake, which Grady obliges, but with a look almost like resentment on his face. He steps back and silently judges him not looking too pleased. 

I try to stop this Mexican standoff going on in my kitchen, "How about mint? That's Fitz's favorite right?" 

"Good idea. How about you two go and finish up the lights now before everyone else arrives." My mom suggests, most likely also trying to diverge the situation the is going to happen.