Something Fun

It has been over a week, the plumber couldn't figure out what went wrong, Keefe's parents were driving me up a wall, and Keefe was becoming distant. The only good thing though was that Keefe was able to get his parents to leave us alone. How long they will be gone for? Who knows. At the moment I had more pressing matters. 

"Keeeeeeeeeeeeeffffe," I whine, begging for him to look up from the drawing he was working on.

No answer. Great. 

I walk over to where he was sitting, peering over his shoulder to see him sketching the fountain that we were sitting in front of. I poke his shoulder, trying to get his attention. He jumps in his seat making a large pencil mark across the page. 

"Oh my. Keefe. I am so sorry!" I exclaim, moving my hands in a strange pattern, unsure what to do with myself. 

He looks at me, back at his ruined drawing, and then back at me. "Why are you sorry. You gave it some Foster Flare. I sorta like it." 

I blush at his comment and try to hide my face. "Aw look. I made Foster blush. I love this game." He leaned in close and whispered into my ear even though no one was around, "By the way, you are making it way to easy for me."

My witty comeback consisted of me blushing even more and pushing him away.  He gave a small chuckle as I make my way back over to my book which lay forgotten in the grass, trying to protect the little pride I had left behind my pages. Keefe rolled his eyes and made his way over to where I had my nose stuck in my book, eyes not taking any of the words in front of me. He pushed the book down, forcing me to look into his startling eyes. "Ok. What do you want to do?" 

I shrugged my shoulders, " I don't know. Something fun." 

"Want to see what the others are doing today?"

"I was thinking something with just the two of us. We barely get any time together." 

He raised an eyebrow at me, "You do realize you've been living with me for the past week." 

"Yeah, yeah. But we haven't had any alone time. Your parents are always around." 

"Did the Famous Miss Foster just admit that she wanted alone time with me, the Keefester? Foster, Foster, Foster. What has gotten into you? Who have you become?"

 I push him away from our surprisingly close distance, "I meant that I haven't seen the Keefe I know around. You always act differently when your parents are in the room. I just miss my best friend."

He gasps and clutches his chest, "Please say someone recorded this. Foster just admitted that I was her best friend," He grabs my hand and places it onto his arm. "Pinch me, please, I think that I'm dreaming. Or at least into a state of shock."

I pinch his arm with a little force, in which he yelped and jumped away from me. "No need to be overdramatic. You are ONE of my best friends. And you will never be my BEST friend. Dex claims that spot." 

He stands up and shakes his fist into the air, "Damn you Dex. I will fight you to claim the title of Best Friend of Sophie Foster if I have to." 

I grab his arm and hide him behind the closest tree. "What in the world was that for? I said no more dramatic."

"Exactly. What did you think? That I would do exactly what you asked me to do? Honey, you are in for a big surprise then." 

I smack my forehead, shaking my head in frustration. "Ugh. Just whatever."

We sit, wandering inside our own minds, content with the company and the silence. Sometimes I wish that I could just reach out and listen to Keefe's thoughts. For all his joking around, there is another side to him. One filled with seriousness, sadness, loneliness, and fear. A side of him that is closed up to the world, hidden behind walls that were built after so many years of torment. Sometimes I wish I could just reach out and tear the walls down, seeing the other side of Keefe, and tell him that he is not alone, that he doesn't have to hide. Sometimes I wish-

"Foster, are you just going to stare at me the whole day or do you want to actually do something."

"Wha-what?" I ask my mind scrambling to figure out what we were previously talking about. 

"I mean, I know that I'm handsome and all. And my hair is just THE BEST, but seriously. I wanna take you somewhere fun." 

My mind was still racing from the sudden jolt back into reality that I could hardly form words. "Oh. Ok."

~~~

"Oh. My. Goodness!" I practically shout, covering my mouth with my hand, laughing uncontrollably. 

"Shhhhhhh! He's going to hear you!" Keefe says in a whisper, his words broken up by a laugh. 

We settle ourselves for a moment before we catch each other's eyes and fall back into a fit of giggles. I look over his shoulder and exclaim, "Quiet. He's looking at us." 

I stifle my laugh as I take a bite of my food, I glance up to see Keefe copying my actions, his cheeks puffed out like a cute chipmunk. I let a small smile spread across my face, one that he caught sight of, "So, what do ya think?" 

"When you were saying you have somewhere fun to go, I was not expecting you to take me to a grocery store."

"I don't that guy at the cashier did either."

I look over his shoulder to spy the man that checked us out still giving us the death glare. "Yeah. I don't think that it was a good idea for you to keep going back for more stuff." 

"But it was worth it. I found us some yummy candy. And I actually found the Belly Flops! I have never seen them in a store before!" 

"I can finally understand your infatuation with them." 

We were sitting in the kids' section of the food court in one of the biggest grocery stores I have ever been in. We were sitting at small tables in small chairs, with a wall filled with bright colors and animals to our left, and a tv playing a kids movie on the back wall. What I loved the most about the entire thing though, is not the food (although it is delicious), it's not the candy (though that too is amazing), but the reactions of everyone around us. Every person, whether young or old, were giving us the weirdest and yet the best expressions ever. 

"So why did you take me here?" I ask him between bites.

"'Cause this place is awesome you said that you wanted to do something fun." I give a small laugh that I try to hide by taking a sip of my soda. "What? What's so funny?"

"Nothing. This is just not where I expected you to take me."

He leans back into his chair crossing his arms, "What were you expecting?"

"I don't know," I shrug, "I had a feeling that you would drag me into being a part of your next big prank."

"Don't worry. That'll be next on our list of things to do."

I groan and hide my head within my arms onto the table. "Whyyyyy?" 

"Hey, I have a great one cooking up for you! The first time you do something not so innocent has to be memorable. And I have something in mind that you will never forget."

I feel my face burst into flames in embarrassment. Thankfully I was still hiding my face so Keefe couldn't see how much his comment rattled me. Apparently, my silence wasn't holding up with him well because he quickly interjected my wandering thoughts with a rushed, "Don't worry! It's not illegal! And anyway, it's not like we are going to get caught."

I give a small sob of despair, "How did I ever become your friend?"

"You couldn't keep yourself away. Literally bumping into and falling for me at every chance you got."

"Oh god."

He gives a satisfied smirk and took a sip of his drink, I could see his gears turning in his head, sizing me up and calculating something unknown to me.