A Beauty Like You

This was cathartic, especially with my angst for season 8 . . .

Everything in him felt weak, but his arms held steady, unshaken even with the weight of his bayard

It had fully transformed into his sniper-rifle by now, and as he hid away behind the foot of his lion, he found comfort in the hard press of his rifle to his shoulder, in the way the sights lined up perfectly with the Galra cruiser as it landed.

The cruiser threw dust everywhere, with a strong wind that made Lance glad he had a helmet to shield his eyes from the debris. The paladin's pulse beat hard in his chest, but he was thankful to at least hear the other paladins in his ear.

"Pidge, what are our options?" Allura's voice somehow still seeming calm and collected—how she does it, Lance would never know.

"If you and Hunk can distract it for just a moment, Keith and I can sneak away long enough to reach Lance—"

"I might have an idea—" But the yellow paladin is interrupted by his own scream, and the blue paladin's nerves spike, only able to imagine what could've just happened to his friend.

Then, his leader's voice in his ear, always sure but confidence seeming lost on him now that one of them is in immediate danger. "Hunk!" he shouts, but continues—"Lance, we're coming for you, just hang tight!"

With a quick, calming breath, Lance responds, eyes trained on the single silhouette figure emerging from the cruiser, into the cloud of dust.

"Hunk, do you copy?"

"I've got eyes—it's just one of them—"

"I'm okay," yellow finally assures.

Lance felt immediate relief—everyone's okay

"We're right behind you buddy, hang in there—"

But now, he had to tune them out. He focused completely on the figure, and as they emerged, noticed no one appeared to follow.

It was definitely suspicious—at this point, the Galra soldier would be far enough away that the blue paladin could scan the surrounding buildings. He flicked the infrared sights on, but there didn't seem to be anything in the ruins.

Switching back to basic sights, he zeroed in on the soldier.

The Galra seemed to be more on the lean side, much like himself, and covered head to toe in signature Galran armor. The person walked on at a steady pace, as if in no hurry to approach.

A frown worked its way onto Lance's face with each observation. Just the one guy? It's got to be a set up . . .

He replayed all the different possibilities in his head, but nothing was lining up. His proximity scanners showed only the one soldier, and nothing else—no one else.