A Joyride to Infinity

I am a slight, slight astronomy nerd 😅 space is beautiful and unknown and I'm so damn fascinated by it! Who's heard of the new emergent gravity theory?!?! It explains dark matter, and connects the gaps between sciences that people have been trying to connect forever!!

Please excuse spelling mistakes and such. My laptop is down, I have to write with my phone!

 My laptop is down, I have to write with my phone!

Lance didn't get any sleep.

Instead he lay, exhausted and hardly awake, on his bed.

Last night, he was ready for a full night's sleep, only to be torn apart by the fact that he couldn't remember her face.

His niece's face.

Every night he went over it all-and the longer he spent away from Earth, the more it felt like his life had been a dream. Every night, everyone's name, their faces, his favorite memories. Because he swore to them he would never forget, not for a moment. Not while fighting Zarkon, and not while saving entire systems of planets. Not even while just having a meal with the paladins, or riding Red.

But last night . . .

His little niece . . . her face was a blur.

And he'd never, ever felt so guilty.

And he lay there still as Kieth burst into the room.

He turned, barely having the energy to do so, to face the red paladin.

Kieth held his jacket by the collar in his gloved hand, his other hand on his hip like he does when he's being all angsty, and . . . Kiethy.

His hair stuck to his sweaty forehead, his breathed slightly ragged-and then Lance knew why he was there.

"First your field trip with the trials, and now skipping training? Allura's furious, by the way."

But Lance couldn't bother to care, just wanted to remember his sweet niece's face-Nadia-he'd sworn he'd never forget-

The accusatory edge left Kieth's tone. "There's something wrong. Lance, what is it?"

No sooner had Kieth finished his sentence, when Lance blurted it out. "Nadia, my niece-I can't remember what she looks like. I can't remember her face, or how tall she is. I . . . I'm forgetting them . . ."

"Hey," his gentle voice, and an equally gentle hand on his shoulder. Kieth sat himself on the edge of Lance's bed. "Lance, we've been away from Earth for a long time. Everyone . . . we're all missing our families. You're not alone. And you won't be alone when we all get to go back to Earth and see them again. You'll recognize Nadia the moment you see her with the rest of your family, and she'll remember you. I know the memories get blurry . . . but you haven't forgotten her, not even close."

Lance swallowed, nodding during a moment of silence, and then, "Is it too late to train?"

Kieth gave a half-smile, nudging Lance's shoulder as he stood from the edge of the bed. "I'll meet you in the training room," the red paladin said, as a way of ending the conversation.