On The Flip Side

I just got a genius idea for this fic. It's sooo hard not to spoil!!!

The urge to smile left, leaving Lance cold

The urge to smile left, leaving Lance cold. "Lotor, you can't ask this of me."

Lotor frowned, not really malicious, just more like he's used to getting his way.

"Why not, Blue Paladin?"

Lance turned his chin up, but looked downward in thought.

"I mean this with all due respect, but . . . how can you ask me to trust you?"

Lotor sat forward, looking over Lance with caution. "If I'd wanted to kill you, I'd have done it on Nonstreiter."

Lance couldn't really argue with that—plus, Lotor never even tried to kill his competitors in the matches—but while he wanted to trust the man, Lance knew better.

How many times had they trusted foreign dignitaries and taken a blow? How many times had the naivete backfired on them? They couldn't afford to trust so quickly—Lance couldn't afford that.

"Lance, I know I ask much of you. Just tell me you'll think on it a while longer. You don't need to make your decision now."

Lance merely nodded, feeling the ever-widening rift in him gape at the decision he now had to make.

Lance wished he could've made his words sound stronger than they did. "Why me? Why am I so different?"

Lotor met his gaze and held it, and Lance felt nausea swimming in his stomach.

"Lance, I may be wrong, but . . . I feel the other highly esteemed paladins you befriend . . . well, I feel they mistrust me to the point where it would hinder their rationale. I know you can think through his clearly."

Lance wanted to say something, anything, tell Lotor he was wrong, but his voice caught in his throat. He's just flattering him to sway him to his side, he told himself. He probably doesn't even think that . . . Lance was just the weak link.

"I'll leave you be, Paladin, but I request that you think on my offer."

Lance shook his head to himself. "And how will I reach you?"

"If I may have your personal contact to message you, I propose—"

"No," Lance interrupted.

Lotor couldn't be in charge of the whole plan, too many things could go wrong.

"No, you can give me your contact info, and I'll message you, if and when I see fit to decide on your offer."

Lotor grinned, and Lance grew frustrated at the sight. "Of course, Paladin. I suppose I shouldn't have bothered to try that one."

Lance furrowed his brows, aiming for a glare. "No, you most certainly shouldn't have."

Lotor frowned, leaning back in his chair. "My apologies for any offense, Paladin McClain."