Never Forget

Photoshop keeps not saving my banners properly so that's why this took so long but hey the more I remade them, the better it came out!

"Lance, what were you thinking? Why didn't you stay in your lion?"

It was moments like these that Lance hated—no, despised—it was the moments where they would all gather around in the Castle of Lions and tell him how he messed up.

It's understandable—yeah, he should've stayed in Red, and yeah, he should've at least waited for Pidge and Keith to back him up, but his instincts said otherwise. If there was anything he'd learned at the Garrison, it would be trusting his instincts. They were seldom wrong.

And Keith was so angry, staring him down with dark, guarded eyes and ripping into him in front of everyone. Pidge sat behind him, arms crossed and brows furrowed like she usually does when she's frustrated, or thinking. Hunk sat opposite, resting his chin on his hands and elbows on his knees, looking down at the ground with a grim expression. Shiro stood behind him, arms crossed with that stern look that always made Lance feel sick.

Behind him, Lance could feel Allura and Coran glaring holes into his back.

The blue paladin steeled himself before speaking. "Keith, you told me to ground myself on the planet's surface, so that's what I did!"

Keith shook his head, lip curled in a snarl as Shiro stepped forward to place a hand on Keith's shoulder. As Keith looked up at him, Shiro gave him the same, dead-serious look.

Turning to Lance, Shiro spoke calmly, as always. "Lance, we need to know what happened out there."

Hunk spoke up then, looking up at Lance and letting his arms fall. "Yeah, man, your helmet looked like it got knocked clean off. What went down?"

And everyone turned to look at him. Internally, Lance cringed—there's bound to be something wrong with what he did, and then everyone will really be mad.

Lance shook his head, wondering where to start, how to say it without giving them reason to think lowly of him.

"It was just . . . one cruiser, and in it, just one person. He—"

But Keith was impatient. "He who? Sendak? Zarkon?"

Shiro tightened his hold on Keith's shoulder. "Keith, that's enough. Let him say what he has to say."

Keith, angry as ever, ripped his shoulder away from Shiro's hold, looking away and practically pouting. It would've been funny in any other situation.

Heck, it's still funny.

But Lance repressed his grin, not wanting to set anyone off. "I don't know—it can't be anyone we've met before, I'd remember. We . . . he got out of his cruiser, and it was just him, so I did too. My instincts just told me—"