Chapter One: Seven Years Later

Pira looked into the well.

She traced her fingers over the smooth stones, just looking at her reflection. Not much had changed; her muddy brown hair was still the same just much longer, her face thinner, skin more tan. But you could still see the little girl that had run out to this very spot all those years ago. She didn't go to her father's grave to mourn, but came here where she could feel the grass between her feet, and hear the whistling of the birds. In her heart, this is where her father was. Not the gravestone where he had been buried. She had only been there once.

"I miss you," she whispered to the wind. "Mother does as well, but she doesn't show it though. Neither of us have been the same since you left."

Her other hand reached for the amulet that she wore underneath her linen tunic. "I haven't taken off the amulet since you gave it to me, not even when I'm practising my swordsmanship. The captain says I'm a prodigy for my age. Thought you might be proud"

It was moronic, talking to a well. It wasn't like anyone was going to answer anytime soon. So why did she keep talking to this thing? It frustrated her and soothed her at the same damn time.

"I better go," she said, "Mother's having another ball tonight and demands my presence.  

"As if there's nothing better to spend my time at," she rolled her eyes. 

But before leaving she walked back to the well once more and peered down, "I just... I just wish you could be here. We would have done all the things we planned to do when I was young. You're the only one who understood me, Papa. I love you"

She began to walk to her horse, glancing back at the well only once before trudging forward and grabbing the horses reins. The horse neighed loudly at first, angry at having been left alone. 

"Easy," she said while stroking its muzzle, "we have to go back."

The horse neighed louder.

"Don't put up a fuss, if you're good I will get a maid to give you some old carrots. Maybe even an apple"

The neighing stopped, allowing Pira to grip the saddle. She put one foot in the stirrup and flung herself up and over the horse until she sat comfortably; she gripped the reins tighter as she began to ride her horse.

Pira couldn't help but smile as her horse began to gallop. The sun shone on her face and the wind weaved through her hair. She could feel the animals muscles move beneath her, strong and resilient.

The castle came into view, and with any luck, her mother would be waiting in the courtyard. 

Pira knew something that would make her mother want to tear her hair out. With a smirk, she pulled her feet out of the stirrups and managed to crouch on the saddle. Slowly she stood up letting go of the reins and stretching her arms outwards to support her balance.

This was utter freedom, pure and simple. Exhilarating and true freedom.

And Pira loved it.

The courtyard could now be seen, the servants hustling to and fro. They ran in opposite directions as Pira barrelled in. She waited for a second longer before she jumped off and rolled on the ground.

She stood up brushing the dirt off her clothes. One of the stable boys had grabbed her horse and was leading the beast back to the stable for some oats and hay. A couple of maids rushed forward, trying to get her clean once again.

"Where were you?" a voice boomed.

Pira winced, before turning to see the commanding presence that was her mother, upon the steps that led to the castle. "I just went out riding."