Chapter Four: The Great Escape

"I'm ready to be a good daughter," Pira pleaded, making her eyes appear big and wide. "Just please don't make me stay here another moment."

Eleanor raised her eyebrows, the rest of her face remaining neutral. "You won't defy me?" She questioned.

"No Mother."

"You will act like the princess you're supposed to be, give up sword fighting and other rough pursuits?"

"Yes, Mother."

"You will admit that Piro is an enemy of the kingdom?" Eleanor raised an eyebrow. "Denounce him and your little friend?"

Pira paused, bit her lip and then looked down at her torn dress and bloodied hands. "Yes. Yes, I will."

The answer finally satisfied the queen, an almost merry glow swirling in her eyes. "Then I see no reason why you must stay here, with the traitor."

Eleanor turned to one of the guards, barking at him to get one of the maids to run a bath for Pira and a new dress. The poor guard's face turned white as he scrambled out of the dungeon. Then Eleanor turned to pira, gripping her by the shoulders.

"Just you wait, Pira," She smiled. "You and I are going to build an empire to be feared."

Piro groaned, reminding everyone of his presence, "I wouldn't bet on it."

Eleanor kicked him in the ribs causing Pira to wince, "no one cares what you think traitor."

"Don't!" Pira gripped her mother's arm. "...Please don't waste your breath on him."

"You're right," Eleanor said, a motherly smile on her face. The first one Pira had seen in years. " Let's go upstairs."

Pira nodded her head, looking at Piro one last time. Etching the memory of his face, his kind eyes, his greying beard. Searing that very image into her head, as if it was the last time she would see him"

*

Pira hated her room. It was situated at the top of the highest tower. In order to get to it, one would need to climb up a spiralling staircase that was encased in darkness. The room itself was furnished with a wardrobe a wrought iron bed, and a vanity and nothing more. Her vanity only had a brush on it and a string of pearls given to her by a visiting dignitary, and a few books. It reminded her of a prison with how bleak the room was.

She was now changed into another blue gown and sitting on her bed, this one decked out in diamonds and pearls. Obviously, it had been chosen by her mother.

"I'll give you an hour to collect yourself then you are to join me downstairs in the grand hall," Eleanor said, leaning against the door frame. "Am I understood, daughter?"

"Yes Mother," Pira said, face netural. "I'll be down shortly."

"Good" Eleanor smiled. It was a soft smile, one that didn't fit her. "One-day Pira, you will see that I have done all of this for you. We will build a kingdom to be feared"

"I have no doubt you will, Mother," Pira said.

"One Hour. The guards will escort you" Eleanor said, before turning around "And leave that gaudy amulet of yours up here"

Pira gripped the sapphire, not bothering to answer Eleanor. The queen still sure of the control she had over her daughter slammed the door shut behind her. Pira sat on her bed until she could no longer hear the sound of her mother's heels on the stone floor.

She ran to the wardrobe, flinging the wooden door open. She pushed through the mounds of dresses, cloaks, headpieces. Where were her Riding pants and a blouse? She pulled each piece of clothing out one by one. All of her more practical clothing had been removed; there was no doubt about that. Fine then.