Chapter Two: A Dinner to Remember

Pira rushed into the dining hall, only to find out that she was indeed the last one to enter. The faces of dukes, lords, and viscounts and their sons all turned to face her with scrutiny. It wasn't Pira's fault that she was late; she had to go find her shoes after all. Eleanor glared at her; those icy eyes the two shared were so cold as they stared at her. 

Shit.

Pira gave a light curtsey before walking over to her seat and sitting down. Slowly conversation began to resume. Piro smiled at Pira, assuring her that no lasting harm had been done. That young boy she had danced with was now seated near a viscount's daughter. The young woman was red in the face and laughing at everything he said. It appeared he had taken Pira's advice. That was at least something positive in her eyes. 

The servants brought out food/ they placing pheasants, and quails, and chickens on the table, as well as vegetables, bowls full of bread, and fresh greens. Everyone began to grab the food. Except for Eleanor, she didn't touch a morsel. occasionally she did take a sip of wine. That was odd in Pira's eyes, her mother always had a healthy appetite. 

The meal began to come to a close.

The servants coming forward, grabbing plates and dishes before scurrying out.

Eleanor stood up and walked over to the large hearth and stared at the flickering flames.

"Eleanor, I don't mean to be rude," Piro said, taking a sip of wine, "but is there a reason on why you invited us all out here on such short notice?"

Everyone went quiet. Pira scrunched her eyebrows together. Now that it had been mentioned, this ball had been put together at the last moment. It was odd for her mother to do something so last minute. In fact, her mother had been doing a lot of things that were out of character. the insistence that Pira dance with the boy, the amount of emphasis Eleanor had put on the importance of her appearance. What was Eleanor planning?

"I suppose I do owe you all an explanation," Eleanor said, never taking her eyes away from the fire. "As many of you are aware, it has been seven years to the day since my husband, the late King George, passed away"

A solemn chorus of may he rest in peace or rest his soul was heard. Even Pira fiddled with the chain of her amulet.

"Well, since then I have remained in charge," Eleanor said.

A heavy aura settled in the room, making it hard to breathe. The amulet grew warm in Pira's hand.

"It has come to my attention that our little kingdom is growing rapidly since the wars."

"What are you trying to say, my Queen?" a lord said.

"Simply that we need to expand." Eleanor finally looked away from the fire and at the people in the dining hall. But something was wrong. Her pupils were incredibly small and her mouth had stretched into a feral grin. 

Her mother looked as if she could kill. 

"How do you propose to expand your kingdom, Eleanor?" Piro had leaned forward slightly. Pira could see his knuckles turn white. 

"I think you know."

"Are you proposing a war, my Queen?" One lord stood up. "That is utter madness! the 50 kingdoms are at peace for the first times in aeons."

"Father wouldn't have wanted this, Mother," Pira said. The first thing she had said since the dinner had commenced. "I mean, we are at peace, to go to war would leave the other kingdom completely unprepared. It's a dirty underhanded tactic."

"That's why it's a perfect time to strike."

"I will not support a fool's war," the lord yelled. 

"That's fine," Eleanor chuckled. 

In her hand, a ball of fire appeared and she threw it towards the lord. Pira jumped out of her seat watching the poor man writhe until his corpse fell to the ground. Oh, Gods. There was that awful burning smell again. Pira had not smelled it in nearly seven years. 

"Eleanor, you go too far," Piro yelled jumping out of his seat.

Eleanor's smile dropped. "You know Piro, the reason I invited you was so that you could join us."

"I mean," Eleanor smiled cocking her head to the side, "You were my husbands closest friend after all."

"What makes you think I would ever join you?" Piro said, reaching for his sword.

"Is that a no," Eleanor mocked, "Too bad. I guess I'll have to make an example out of your kingdom then."

"Like hell, I'll let you."

"Who said you had a choice?"

Guards began to advance around Piro; Pira's heart began to beat faster. Piro grabbed his sword which was quickly forced out of his hand. Pira reacted. She went to the nearest guard and reached for his sword, pulling it out of its sheath. She then ran to her mother, holding the sword up to Eleanor's neck. The rest of the guards tensed, waiting for a command.

"Well well well..." Eleanor chuckled, not even fazed in the slightest. "What a twist to our little story."

"Let Piro go," Pira said.

"I have to admit, I didn't think you actually had the stomach to threaten me," Eleanor said. She grabbed the sword with her hand and ice began to climb up the metal, "But you will learn how stupid it is to do so."

The sword shattered in Pira's hand, small metal pieces flying across the room. "Surrender now Sweetheart, and there will be no harsh consequences."

"You're mad," Pira seethed between clenched teeth.

"Oh really," Eleanor laughed, "I'm so glad you noticed, I have been working on it for nearly seven years."

A flick of Eleanor's wrist caused a large gust of wind to pick Pira up and toss her across the room. She could feel her head hit the wall, and the breath leaving her lungs as she fell to the floor.

Her ears were ringing, her vision blurry. She had trouble getting air into her lung.

A pale hand came down, grabbing a chunk of Pira's hair and forcing the girl to look up.

"I now want to hear your surrender Pira," Eleanor said, laughing at Pira's scowl. "Oh come on, Just tell your mother how sorry you are."

"You. Are. Not. My. Mother" Pira said, gasping for air. "My mother died seven years ago"

Eleanor's face hardened. "Guards, take her to the dungeon, a few hours with the rats ought to make her a little more appreciative."

AN: So I know that I said that the next update will be on January 15th but since I wrote several chapters this week, I thought I would put out one more chapter as a treat. so chapter 3 will be put out on the 15th and chapter 4 on the 30th. have a Happy New Years.