Chapter 9: The Emerald Eyed Prince

It was early morning when Karin woke up, the rooster not even having crowed once yet. She looked over to find Pira still fast asleep her blonde hair sprawled all over the place tangled with the hay in the loft. It had been weeks since they had first ran, and those weeks had been hard ones. So hard in fact that Karin's shoes had completely worn through, and Piras clothes were no longer capable of being repaired.

Fortunately, they had enough money to buy a new pair of shoes each and some clothes, which is what Karin intended to do. The farmer that was kind enough to offer them shelter had offered to take Karin into town where a grand market was set up by the coast. The outing sounded wonderful to Karin. Pira was driving her slightly mad with her constant paranoia.

So with that thought, Karin stood up and put on her dress, brushing the straw out of her hair. She looked presentable. The farmer walked out of his home with a smile as he hooked up a horse to a cart and beckoned Karin to sit next to him as the two rode away.

"So how much longer do you and your friend plan on staying," The farmer said. "I got a few more jobs you can do if you want to stay a bit longer."

"We will probably leaving tomorrow," Karin said. "She wants to get a move on soon."

"Shame," the farmer said, "Hard to find hardworking folks, if my sons weren't married, I would be encouraging them to court you."

"that's very kind of you to say," Karin said, letting the conversation drop there before changing the topic. "How long have you lived in the Isles?"

"All my life miss," the farmer said. "Though I moved to the mainland after my first boy was born."

"Must be nice to be so close to the ocean," Karin said.

"It has its ups and downs."

"What about the king, I have heard quite a few things about him. Any of the rumours true?"

The old man let out a pent up sight 

"I see," Karin said. "Some are true."

"More than we care to admit," The farmer said. 

By now the farm was far behind them, and the countryside rolled in. It was so different from the pine and spruce of the planes, and the Black Rose Kingdom. The trees here were so tall with strange round fruit at the top and large, broad green trees. The weather here was also warm and humid, where Karin could sit and do nothing all day, and her close would still get Dewey and damp.

She loved it.

It was more beautiful than the windy planes or the bitterly cold mountains that encapsulated the Black Rose Kingdom. She could see herself staying here, building a life here.

If she didn't have other issues going on right now, of course.

Regardless this place could make one forget their troubles.

Eventually, the cart rolled into the town, and it was just a beautiful as the countryside. The clean smell of sea air was everywhere, and the buildings that lined the streets were tall and elegant. Small little shops were everywhere. Oh and the people, they wore beautiful flowy fabric, that moved in the wind. The men and women were tan with dark hair and dark eyes; they all seemed so regal and elegant.

"This place is gorgeous," Karin exclaimed.

"You should see the capitol Ogygia," the farmer said, "but I suppose Aeaea has its beauty."

The farmer eventually stopped near the edge of the market and tied up the cart and horse. "Will meet back here in an hour," the farmer said.

Karin nodded her head before venturing in.