Chapter Five: A Princess by any Other Name

The grass scratched her arms, and the sun scorched her skin. The air was heavy making it hard for Karin to breathe and the perfume of wildflowers made her dizzy. A normal person would claim that today was a stunningly beautiful day. For some reason though, Karin just could not find it in her to relax.

Her father was late coming home. He had never been late a day in his life. As well, little communication had come from him since he left the Plaines. It was another thing that was unusual on a growing list of oddities. But everyone kept assuring her that things were fine, especially after one of her father's guards had shown up alerting the maids to prepare for the king's arrival. To anyone else that would have been confirmation enough; not to Karin. Something about the guard's demeanour - which was frantic and skittish - spelt out bad omens.

One of the maids had sent Karin to the royal gardens to relax. Much good that did. Perhaps if she had someone to talk to, to help ease her mind, she wouldn't be so worrisome. But despite living in that castle full of people Karin still felt utterly alone.

Pira would be by this summer though. Then the two would be able to spend their days together laughing, talking, and just being in each others company. It sounded heavenly to her. She could hear one of the maids, Karin believed her name was Lila, calling out to her.

"Did sitting in the garden calm your nerves Princess?" Lila asked, fake concern lacing her soft voice.

"Very much so," Karin said as she stood up dusted the grass off of her skirt.

" Good, very good," Lila said. "Now we must be heading off to your room. The seamstress shall be arriving shortly with a few dresses for tonight, and we have to get them hemmed. Also, the florist needs your opinion on the flower arrangements, and the cooks need for you to decide on what they should make for dessert. Not to mention your dance lessons, etiquette lessons, tea with Duke Cordels daughter. And let us not forget..."

~

Karin went to her room shedding her clothes until she was only left in her shift. Lila stood by the door, tapping her foot up and down rapidly like a rabbit. Eventually, the girl threw her arms up in the air. "Where is that seamstress," Lila shouted before stomping off. "I'll be right back princess."

"Take your time."

Karin looked around her room, it was spacious with pretty ribbons and velvet curtains. Her bed had hundreds of soft pillows and dozens of warm furs. A large vanity was pushed against one end of the wall with countless perfume bottles, brushes, powders, pearl necklaces, lace, and gold bracelets. What a pretty little-gilded cage. It had everything a princess could need. Karin sat on her bed. After all what else was a princess supposed to do? She remembered that a tutor had once told her that a princess should look like a porcelain doll at all times. That tutor would have died right on the spot if they had ever met Pira. Karin gave a small smile at the thought of her friend.

Pira was the farthest thing from a proper princess, both in looks and personality. The angry princess had long muddy blonde hair that was almost untameable, dark tan skin from spending hours out in the sun, and intense large blue eyes. Those eyes could stare a murder in the face, and the murder would be the one to flinch. Karin also knew Pira to have a rather dry sense of humour, almost bordering on dark humour. She often came across as cold and unapproachable to most. You had to know her well to understand that deep down Pira was a very caring person.

Karin was almost jealous of her. Pira didn't have to pretend to be happy or act as if she cared. The girl could speak her mind all she wanted. Pira didn't have to try on a thousand dresses to find the one that best matched her skin tone or her eyes. Pira got to be Pira.