[Chapter 5]

November 6th, 2038
10:25AM

(Y/N) downs the last of her new, fresh coffee that her dad had offered to pay for. He, himself, stands next to her, questioning a suspect. "Alright, that's all for now. Free to go."

The suspect turns and walks off and Hank eyes him suspiciously. Detective Ben, the cop from the crime scene before, approaches the Anderson's.

"We've got officers sweeping the neighborhood, in case anybody saw anything." He tells them, watching (Y/N) tap the bottom of her cup. Her shift had long overrun and she was in desperate need of crawling back into her bed.

"Okay, well let us know if they turn anything up." Hank instructs.

"What are you gonna do with that?" Ben asks and (Y/N) looks to see him staring at Connor, who just stands by the car.

"I've no idea..." Hank mutters, walking towards him.

"It took the first bus that came along... and stayed at the end of the line. Its decision wasn't planned, it was driven by fear." Connor informs them.

"Androids don't feel fear." (Y/N) reminds him, joining the two.

"Deviants do. They get overwhelmed by their emotions and make irrational decisions." Connor says and Hank chuckles.

"Ah well, that still doesn't tell us where it went."

"It didn't have a plan, and it had nowhere to go." The android says. "Maybe it didn't go far."

(Y/N) and Hank share a look. "Maybe..."

"It won't go far. We'll find it sooner or later." (Y/N) says, yawning and Hank looks up and down the street.

***

November 6th 2038
3:02PM

Feeling more refreshed, (Y/N) bites into her burger, sat outside of Chicken Feed. Hank approaches his daughter with his own food.

"Knew you'd be here." He chuckles.

"Well you always bought me here." She replies and he takes a bite of his own food.

"Did you get some sleep?" Hank asks and she nods, sipping her drink. "And a shower." She adds.

"Good, you stunk." Hank tells her and she laughs. "Cheers, Dad."

As the two talk, Connor eventually exits Hank's car and joins them. There's a silence and he leans on the table, clearly having analysed the situation. "Your meal contains 1.4 times the recommended daily intake of calories and twice the cholesterol level."

"So?" (Y/N) questions.

"You shouldn't eat that."

"Everybody's gotta die of something." Hank tells him and the two, simultaneously take massive bites of their burger, as if trying to prove a point.

"Do you two eat here often?" Connor questions.

"Most days." Hank replies. "Gary makes the best burger in Detroit." (Y/N) quips.

The android makes a mental note of this and then changes his position slightly. "Is there anything you'd like to know about me?" He queries. .

"Hell no. Well, yeah, um... why did they make you look so goofy and give you that weird voice?" Hank asks and (Y/N) chokes on her drink, laughing.

"CyberLife android's are designed to work harmoniously with humans. Both my appearances and voice were specifically designed to facilitate my integration."

Hank nods. "Well, they fucked up."

"Can I ask you a personal question, Lieutenant?"

(Y/N) stops eating, eyeing the android. She knew this would never end well, especially not with how much her father clammed up over the wrong things.

"Why do you hate androids so much?"

"I have my reasons." Hank mutters.

Another silence and (Y/N) finishes her burger. "Maybe I should tell you what we know about deviants?" Connor asks her and Hank stuffs his face to avoid conversation.

"You read my mind." (Y/N) replies, sarcastically. "Go ahead."

"We believe that a mutation occurs in the software of some androids, which can lead to them emulating a human emotion." Connor informs.

"In English, please." (Y/N) holds up her hand.

"They don't really feel emotion, they just get overwhelmed by irrational instructions, which can lead to unpredictable behaviour."

"Emotions always screw everything up. Maybe androids aren't as different from us as we thought." Hank speaks.

"You ever dealt with deviants before?" The daughter asks and Connor stares before replying, seemingly replaying it in his mind. "A few months back. A deviant was threatening to jump off the roof with a little girl..."

(Y/N) stares at the android, her lips parted slightly, interested in his story. "I managed to save her."

"Wow." She breathes.

"So, I guess you've done all your homework, right? Know everything there is to know about us?" Hank says.

"I know you both graduated top of your classes. Lieutenant, you made a name for yourself in several cases, and become the youngest Lieutenant in Detroit." Connor states.

"Detective, I know you became the youngest person to join the force and you also made a name for yourself when nobody took you seriously."

"I also know you both have received several disciplinary warnings in recent years and I know you spend a lot of time in bars, Lieutenant." Connor finishes and (Y/N) chuckles.

"Too right. So, what's your conclusion?" (Y/N) questions.

"I think working with a father-daughter team with personal issues is an added challenge, but adapting to human unpredictability is one of my features." Connor tells them, sincere as he winks.

The android's LED flashes yellow and he blinks rapidly. "I just got a report of a suspected deviant." He finally says, his LED returning a soft blue.

"It's just a few blocks away. We should go have a look. I'll let you finish your meal." Connor motions to Hank's half eaten burger.

"I'll be in the car, if you two need me." Connor crosses the street and enters Hank's car. Hank sips his drink, turning to his daughter.

"I'm off duty." She reminds him and he stares her down. Glaring at him, she takes his drink, downing the rest of it with a sigh of annoyance.

"Fine, but you owe me coffee. And plenty of it." (Y/N) orders.

"Deal."

Hank eats his burger and his daughter sighs, picking up his car keys and heading to sit and wait with the android.