[Chapter 7]

November 6th, 2038
8:08PM

(Y/N) shoves her hands into her jacket, walking down the path in the rain. She walks past a CyberLife warehouse, taking time to look up and through the gates.

"Fucking androids." She mutters, chuckling. Before she walks off, she notices a man run across the road in the warehouse towards gatehouse A.

"He looks familiar." (Y/N) whispers, frowning.

Her investigator side comes out and she heads around to the side, vaulting over the smaller fence and then scaling the bigger one.

Climbing down, she jumps, hiding behind a wall to avoid the security guard. She waits for him to past and then silently makes her way out, crouching down near gatehouse A. The detective manoeuvres her way around until she reaches a window where the man she saw was attempting to open it.

"Hey, what do you think you're doing?" (Y/N) whisper-shouts, making the man turn in fright.

"I know you. I told you to get out of the rain. Who are you?" She questions. The man stares at her, confused as to why the cop who helped him all this time was here.

"Are you gonna answer me?"

Instead, the man goes to grab her arm, but she pulls her gun out, forcing him to hesitate. "Not so fast."

The man retracts, never breaking eye contact. (Y/N) felt uneasy, not sure why she wasn't calling for help, someone to arrest him or why she didn't do it herself.

"Who are you?" She repeats, trying to sound more confident than what she felt.

The man doesn't know why, but he felt like he could trust her and so he does.

"My name's Markus, I need to steal a truck of android parts because there are androids who need my help. Some are badly damaged."

(Y/N)'s gun wavers. "Huh, I was not expecting that." She breathes.

"Let me do this and I promise you won't hear from me again." Markus tells her.

"You're an android too, aren't you?" Is all she says and he nods.

There's a pause and a few seconds pass before (Y/N) lowers her gun, holstering it again and sighing. "Shit."

"What are you doing?" Markus questions.

"I - I can distract the guards, but you have to hurry." She tells him. He doesn't move, shocked at the turn of events. "Well? Go!" She orders and he turns, hopping through the window.

"What the fuck am I doing?" (Y/N) asks herself, walking around to the door of the guards' office. A guard answers and she holds up her police badge.

"I need the both of you to come with me." She instructs. The guard motions to the other to join and they both follow her out and the young woman turns to face them. "So I need to ask a few questions."

She notices Markus through the window. "Do you have enough security guards to keep this place safe?"

"Uh, yeah. We have enough, I mean we check so every week."

Markus holds up the key, and (Y/N) nods. "Has there been any cause for concern?" She continues and they shake their heads.

"That's all, really, DPD just want to ensure the safety of all the warehouses in the area." She smiles, indicating for them to go back in. They're confused, but does as she shows, muttering between themselves.

Rushing back to the window, (Y/N) sees Markus there, almost as if he waited there for her to arrive. He hadn't moved from that spot since he had gotten back out.

"You didn't drop it or anything right?" She asks and he shakes his head, holding it up.

"Thank you." Markus says.

"Let's hope we don't cross paths again. Stay out of trouble, yeah? For both our sakes." (Y/N) tells him and he smiles.

Markus runs past her, heading towards a truck. She watches him go before turning and heading back out the way she came in.

Her phone rings, making her jump and she eyes the contact flashing on the screen. "You alright, Dad?"

"Yeah, you gotta get down to the Eden Club -"

"What? Ew!"

"Not for that. A man's been found dead there and if I remember correctly, you're due on your shift about now." She could hear the drink on his voice as she had done many times before.

"Alright you got me this time. I'll be straight there." (Y/N) replies, hanging up and starting her trek there.

Yet all she could think about was Markus and how he seemed to make her question everything. No matter how hard she forced herself to try, she could not bring herself to bring that android in and she couldn't understand it. She was infatuated by the thought of him.