Chapter 7

Soundtrack for this chapter:

Without words : Ray Lamontagne

Voodoo Doll : 5sos

unedited sorry

"This is a bad idea." I say quietly, shoving the tips of my finger into my mouth and biting down slightly.

A giggle was let out of his mouth as we walked and I elbowed him slightly in the ribs. "Ow." Ashton chirped, still slightly laughing. 

I had met him in the park early this morning. Today was the day I was gonna bring him into the city; Not like he hadn't been there already, but this time, he wouldn't be being chased around by an angry metro or citizen like usual. Because this time, I gave him a disguise. 

When I was smaller, Ms. Kai had secretly taught me some of her techniques. I say "secretly" because the learning of an outside hobby not assigned by the authorities is illegal and not permitted to any Pures.

 I wasn't taught much though. Only the usual face altering make up designs many Pures used. They were basic and now somewhat outdated. But it was all I had to work with, and it was better than nothing.

"Seriously, we are gonna get caught." 

I push my hair behind my ear, my eyes darting around us nervously. We walk towards the center of City Circle. My original plan had been to bring him to the cafe, maybe do some shopping or anything that seemed appealing. But as the mid morning wore on, and more and more people appeared around us, my anxiety sky rocketed.

I had only changed Ashton's major flaws; Most of them are just Purers definition of flaws. With a few coats of skin perfecter and eye lifter, neither of which he liked too much because they were "make up" and "guys don't wear make up", and a new change of clothes that were in for teen guys in the Pure, he looked like a different person. At least, to others he does.

"Harley," Ashton breathed, turning to face me as we walked. A pair of sunglasses covered his eyes and it took a lot of effort not to burst out laughing every time I looked at his hair that was now pushed up and slicked to the side like most teenage guy's in the Pure was. It looked normal on the other guys, but on Ashton it just looked odd.

"Calm down," 

We take a left. "It's not like I've never out ran a Metro before."

I take a second to look up at him, watching as he bounces with every step he takes, looking like the happiest person in the world, and not like he could be shot at the very moment someone realizes who he is.

I scoff. "And leave me to be thrown out of the city for being an accomplice in Pure criminal activity? Sounds about right."

He chuckles, bringing his head lower and looking at the ground. "Well hey, you could always come live with me." His pockets raise as he lifts his hands in them.

I looked at him again, a blank expression written across my face. I found my cheeks heating and I became confused. What's happening to me. A strange sensation filled my stomach as I met his eyes that were already set on me, his sun glasses now removed. 

I could feel his aura radiating off him, a special skill I had learned to master in my free time. But his was different. It made me feel different. I scrunched my eyes in annoyance. Why was he making me feel like this. It was if he had an unseen power over me, always drawing me nearer, even when what I needed was distance.

I shouldn't even be here right now. I shouldn't be with him at all. He was a Rougher. He wasn't one of us. He was different. And different is bad.