Chapter 10

I stirred in my sleep, refusing to give in and open my eyes. The day before had been a long day. 

My Uncle had assigned me the task of running multiple documents across the city to the safe house; it was the city's storage place for all highly important, as well as secret, documents. I had learned this the hard way, trying to take a peek inside the papers when they were handed to me. 

A hand had slapped the document closed. "And what do you think you're doing?" 

Mrs. Rylin glared at me, her eyes narrowing as she took the papers from me, sealing them closed again with a steady hand. 

"I was just looking." I mumbled, furrowing my brows.

"Well don't." she snapped, shoving them back into my grasp and making me stumble slightly. "They're classified. As is everything that's taken there." she fluffed her hair, her heels clicking along the marble floor of the tower as she led me to the door.

"Though, I'm not quite sure why'd he'd assign you the task of delivering them." she sighed, her lips pursed in distaste. 

"And why not?" I  sassed back, not at all in the mood for her ridicule today.

She stepped closer to me, her eyes scanning over my face. "These papers, will affect you more than you'll ever know." she said lowly. I stared at her, a cold feeling slowly flowing through my body. Her eyes, though very much alight with fire, spoke something else. And in a brief second, I saw something flash in her eyes. Not fury, but unsettlement and almost concern. 

But the irritated anger quickly returned and I was ushered to the door without another word. 

I had glared at her, taking the files underneath my arm and starting out of the tower. And after speaking with Mrs. Rylin, they felt much heavier than before.

 I had religiously avoided Zaria the entire day. Taking roads I knew she wouldn't and ignoring her constant holograms to me on my buzzer. I decided that until I came up with an excuse as to why I was still hanging around Ashton, I wouldn't answer her. It was safer that way. For Ashton at least. I wasn't intimidated by Zaria at the least. She could have her angered way with Ashton, but I knew she wouldn't dare as to go as far as telling any authorities about it.

I squirmed under the covers once again. The nagging sound still protruding into my ears and shaking the sleep away. It wasn't until the drowsy fog in my mind slightly cleared that I realized something was hitting my window.

I quickly sat up, my eyes scrunched with tiredness. I watched silently as something hit the glass, startling me a bit but intriguing me none the less. I stood from the bed, rubbing my eyes and stumbling over to the window. I peered through the glass, scanning the ground below. Someone was scavenging the ground, picking up tiny rocks and cupping them in their hand. It wasn't until they faced the window I realized who it was. Ashton.

"Ms. Harley,"

I turned to gaze up at the ceiling port, recognizing it's mechanical voice. "W-would you like me to call the authorities?"

I pushed my tangled hair out of my face, suddenly annoyed with the robot. "No Nigel why would I want that?" I bit back.

"But Ms. Harley-"

"Hush," I hissed to it, looking out the window once more as it continued to ramble on behind me.

"This is n-not a good idea." it scolded me in it's mechanical stuttering voice. "You will b-be caught and-"

"Off!" I whisper shouted at the machine, the metallic speaking slowing to a slur before going completely silent. I heaved an irritated sigh, turning back to the window and pressing the hatch button, watching as the frame clicked and hissed then slowly swung outward.

Just as it opened to it's full width a small pebble flew through the circular opening, missing my face by a few inches. I leaned my head out looking down at the boy, and scrunching my face. "Would you quit it? This isn't the 20th century Ashton you don't throw rocks at windows."

Even from above I could hear his contagious cackle and I fought a smile off my face. It was 2 o'clock in the morning, surely there would be watch Sarges hovering around by now.

"You are going to get caught standing in the open like that," I said, poking my head further out the opening and peering around. "Especially here..my Uncle has Metros everywhere."

He waved a hand at me, "Ah," he said, scrunching his face in play, "don't worry about the Metros. I'd be surprised if they could sense a bomb detonating."

I took a moment to look at him, my head cocked to the left. He wore the old school skinny jeans that I was told were worn back in the 2030's, and a loose black tank top with some weird scribble on it. That same signiture child-like grin spread across his face.

I leaned onto the sill. "Why are you here?"

"You wanted to meet the lads." he shrugged. "You asked and I'm delivering."

I paused for a moment, thinking his words over. I was curious. And my curiousity had always overpowered my common sense. I wanted to meet these boys. My mind was burning with the thirst for knowledge. But going with him would mean possibly caught. And it also meant leaving the Pure.

And entering the Rough.

"We are gonna get caught," I warned, a small smile hinting on my lips.

He paused a moment, grinning back up at me before dropping his hover board to the ground, starting it up and hopping on as it rose up to my level on the 4th floor. He hovered two meters away from my window, looking in directly at me with that same mischievous grin on his face.

"Only if we let em."

Super super super short chapter yes I know but I'm planning on making the next one suuuper long because I have a LOT planned for it. And yes this chapter is bits and pieces of the dialogue in the chapter 1 preview :-)))

Let me know your thoughts about the story in the comments (or message me) it's still a new story so I still don't have a ton planned for later so any ideas and advice is very much welcome!

-kenzie xoxo