1: New Student

John's POV

I sat in math class, not paying attention to the teacher as usual. I mean, I would like to learn, pass the tests, and get my grades up, but man, that class was boring. It had only been a few months since I transferred here to Wellston after an unfortunate... incident at my old school.

I had almost fallen asleep when I heard the door of the classroom slide open, and someone rushed in. "Sorry I'm late!"

The teacher paused in his lecture, thank goodness. He nodded to the intruder. "Ah, you're that new transfer student. Introduce yourself to the class, please."

"Okay." It was a girl with dark blue hair that came a little way past her shoulders and emerald green eyes. She wore the school uniform and carried a black backpack. She was pretty, but that didn't really matter in the world that I lived in.

The class started whispering.

"What ability do you think she has?"

"She looks weak."

"Who knows, maybe she's a high tier?"

"Let's give her a lesson after school!"

I turned my head, glaring at everyone. I hated everyone talking about abilities and how strong someone was. They thought strength defined someone, when in reality, that wasn't true. 

The new girl started to introduce herself. "My name is Stephanie. Nice to meet you."

The teacher adjusted his glasses. "You can take the seat next to John."

Stephanie nodded, and she walked over to me. I glanced at her face, with was expressionless. It looked like she had on a mask. 

"Hi?" I tried to talk to her. "I'm John."

She just glanced over and nodded. "What page in the textbook are we on?"

"Uh," I said, glancing at my textbook. It wasn't open at all. "Sorry, can't help you there."

To my surprise, she smiled slightly. "It's okay. I guess if you can get through this class without opening your textbook, I can, too."

I was about to tell her that I was a straight F student, but the bell rang. Stephanie packed up, took out her schedule from her pocket, and was about to leave, when she came over.

'Elaine." I glared at the blue haired girl, but she didn't seem to notice. 

Elaine approached Stephanie. "Hi there! I'm Elaine! Nice to meet you!" Stephanie stared at her, her smile disappearing at what she said next. "So, what's your ability?"

Stephanie stiffened, and I did, too. I was a cripple, someone born without an ability. It was a touchy subject. 

"My ability...?" The darker haired girl frowned. "Well, I don't think you want to waste any more time talking to me. I'm a low tier." She read the situation well.

Elaine's face darkened, and she walked away without another word. "Huh, figures." I muttered. "She did the same thing to me when I transferred."

Stephanie sighed, and slung her bag over her shoulder. "Well, I better get going." She waved to me, and left.

As I left the classroom, I wondered why she was so nice to me. 'Oh right,' I thought. 'She doesn't know I'm a cripple. Not yet. When she knows, she'll be as mean as the rest of them.' People were all the same. Well, with the exception of Seraphina.