24: Interview

Isen's POV

I sat on top of the staircase, mulling over all the information I had gathered about John and Stephanie. 'What the hell...?' I thought to myself. 'All the information I've gathered so far: that he bluffs his way out, runs away scared, and doesn't fight his own battles... Nothing out of the ordinary. He acts exactly like how I'd expect a cripple to...'

'And as for Stephanie, she acts like how a low tier should... stays out of the way, doesn't give the social hierarchy any problems... but what about what Lin and Crail said? That she beat them up?'

I clutched my head in frustration. 'Augh! Stupid Arlo! You're just mad that Seraphina won't talk to you! Making me look for something that doesn't even exist! ADKDJSKDJ why me?!?!? If I don't report to him soon, he'll have my head-'

I froze as I suddenly recalled watching John ruthlessly beat Krolik. 'Wait. Bluffing his way out? Not fighting his own battles? Running away scared? That's not what I saw! He had full confidence in what he was doing!' I stood up, straightening my tie. 'Time to confront John.'

***

I smirked as I watched John left, nursing his swollen wrist. I had the information I needed after dragging the black haired boy into an interview. 'New Bostin, huh?' 

Walking through the halls, I searched for Stephanie's dark ocean blue hair. 'If John was hiding something, than she might be, too.'

"Stephanie!" I called out, falling into step beside the girl as she walked to the next class. 

"Hm?" she turned around, turning her curious green gaze on me. "What is it, Isen?"

"Well," I started, telling her the same lie I had told John. "I wanted to interview you for a article I'm writing about the life of a low tier."

"Sounds interesting." She pondered. "Sorry, but no thanks."

"It wasn't a request." I said darkly as I grabbed her wrist and dragged her to the interview room.

Closing the door behind me firmly, I let her go. "Take a seat, please. Let's start."

Glaring at me and rubbing her wrist, she sat down across from me. "So, where are you from?" I asked her.

"Gordova."

"Did you attend a school there?" 

"Just primary school. I left the town after sixth grade. I decided the environment wasn't quite right for me."

"Then where did you go?" 

"I came to Wellston." she cleared her throat looking uncomfortable. "Could we get started with your article?"

"But what happened during your middle school years?" I pressed on, smiling darkly. "Maybe you got into some unfortunate incident concerning your family?"

"What did you say?" Stephanie sounded shocked.

"Some little thing that was the real reason you left, hm?" I said, almost teasingly. "Without your family, all alone..."

The shock on her face turned to anger. "Isen," she growled. "keep your nose out of my business."

"What if I don't want to?" I smirked, activating my ability. 

"Oh that's how you want to play it?" Stephanie's eyes glowed blue, and she stood up, to face me.

I tried to grab her wrist to crush it like I did to John. That was when I found out I couldn't move. "Wha-" I gasped, dumbfounded. 'Was this what she was hiding?' I tensed as the pressure around me tightened. It was like being stuck in a glass case that was perfectly made to fit my body. Then I remembered Arlo saying something about her ability... flow control... Had she frozen the energy in my body to keep me from moving?

She stepped closer to me, thrusting her face in close to glare at me, her eyes burning with a green fire. 'Don't mess with me. Or my past. I'm warning you.'

With that, she deactivated her ability, stomping out of the room and slamming the door shut behind her. I fell back on to my chair, breathing hard. 'She- she must be at least an elite tier to do that to me.' Although frightened, I was also more intrigued than ever. 'What else are you hiding?'