6: Healer

Stephanie's POV

Flames erupted around me, dancing around my legs, burning them. But I was focused on something else.

"No!" I screamed, tears running down my face. "Dad!"

The black figure in front of me dropped the body of my father, pulling the knife out from the body. "You're next."

My legs were frozen with fear. I couldn't move at all as the figure approached me, about to stab me with the knife. I let out another scream as the knife rushed toward me, as fast as lightning. All I could see was his glowing, orange eyes...

My eyes flew open, and light filled my vision. 'Wh-where am I?' I thought, panicking a little. I tried to sit up, falling back down on the bed when pain shot up my chest and sides.

Still breathing heavily from my dream, I looked around the room I was in. Two faces came into view. "Who...?" I choked out. 

"Calm down!" said one of the faces. "It's just us! You know, John and Seraphina?"

'John? Seraphina?' My brain slowly processed those names. After a moment, everything came rushing back to me. 'Oh yeah, it's them.'

"S-sorry." I muttered to my new friends apologetically. "I couldn't remember anything for a minute. But it happens all the time! Nothing to worry about." I quickly added as the two stared down at me with concerned expressions. "So, where are we?"

Sera replied. "After you got beat up, we brought you to my dorm room."

"Really?" I slowly sat up, wincing as my injuries throbbed. "And I didn't get beat up, it was just recoil damage."

Then the door opened, and a girl with pale blue hair walked in. My eyes widened, as did her's. "You?" We exclaimed at the same time.

"Elaine!" Seraphina greeted the newcomer. "You came!"

"Of course," Elaine huffed, giving me a condescending stare that I returned. "You called me."

"Why is she here?" I asked John. 

John groaned under his breath. "We had no choice. Doc already left, and you need to be healed."

"What? No!" I said forcefully. "I'm fine!" I tried to stand up, but a cough racked my body, and I had to sit back down.

"Just let me do my job already!" Elaine stomped towards me, grabbing my arm. "Stop being so stubborn!"

With a sigh, I sat back as Elaine activated her ability and started to heal me.

Seraphina looked at me expectantly. "You were saying something about recoil damage?"

"Oh, yeah!" I shrugged. "Well, it's just that I take recoil damage from using my ability, like you. Nothing special."

John frowned. "How much of your power did you use?"

I frowned. "Not that much. I just made one simple barrier to get some bullies to back off."

"And you took that much recoil damage?" Sera pointed to my injuries. "Even I don't take that much damage when I use my ability excessively!"

"Well," I muttered. "Some of it came from those bullies..."

John sighed. "Just be careful, okay? You two are my only friends. I don't want you to get hurt."

"Same goes for you!" Sera and I both replied.

Elaine's head snapped up. "I'm done. This is as much as I can do for now. Go to the infirmary first thing in the morning tomorrow." 

I stood up, and this time, my wounds hurt considerably less. "Impressive," I said. "Thanks."

Elaine shook her head. "Most of your injuries are internal, so I can't heal them completely."

"That's fine." Seraphina nodded to Elaine. "You can go now."

As Elaine left, closing the door behind her, I turned to my friends. "I'm sorry you couldn't go to the mall today because of me."

"It's fine." John smiled. "We can go some other time."

I smiled back. I had made some great friends.

***

Elaine's POV

"Ummm, Arlo?" I spoke into my phone. "You know that girl, Stephanie, you wanted me to keep an eye on?"

"Yes?" was the reply.

"She came to my dorm today." I revealed. "Seraphina wanted me to heal her. Stephanie had a lot of internal injuries, and she said that was from the recoil damage of her ability."

"Interesting." Arlo chuckled over the phone. "I see. I'll see you later Elaine. Thank you for telling me."

I clutched the phone even after he hung up. Was I doing the right thing?