4: Recoil

Stephanie's POV

I stuffed my books into my bag as soon as the bell rang. I didn't want John and Sera to wait for me afterschool. "We'll wait for you at the front gate," John had said.

Humming lightly, I slung my bag over my shoulder and walked out of the classroom. But I didn't make it very far before two boys, one with messy green hair and the other with long pale purple hair that covered one of his eyes, grabbed my arms. "Hey!" I exclaimed, but they had a firm grip, and dragged me over to the back of the school.

"Hey," I said, once they had released me and thrown me against the wall. "I'm not looking for a fight!"

The purple hair smirked. "Don't worry. Neither are we. We are just here to educate you. Right, Crail?"

"Yes, Lin." The green hair slammed his hand against the part of the wall next to my head. "So in this school, there's a hierarchy that everyone follows. And since you're a low-tier, you're at the very bottom, with the exception of John, the useless cripple."

I glared at him. "Just because he doesn't have a ability, you all discriminate against him! You make me sick!"

Crail scowled. "Don't interrupt me when I speak!" His foot slammed into my stomach, and I fell on to my knees, coughing up blood. His ability had activated. 

As I tried to get up, Lin shot needles me, making scratches appear on my face. Crail punched me on the shoulder, and pinned me against the wall. "Weaklings like you," Crail said. "Should bow down to me without question."

That's when I snapped.

My eyes glowed a bright green, and my ability activated. I kicked out, pushing Crail backwards. "Now you're going to pay."

Crail rushed towards me, his hands raised to deliver another punch. "You're dead!" He yelled. "I'm goi-" His voice was cut of abruptly as he ran straight into the barrier I had created by freezing the energy in the air in that area. He slumped to the floor, and Lin panicked, shooting needles at my head again. But my barrier blocked the needles, and I pushed the barrier towards him. He was knocked unconscious as the barrier slammed into him at an incredible speed.

With a scoff, I deactivated my ability and began to walk away to the front gates. My stomach still hurt from when Crail kicked me, my shoulder ached, and my face stung from the needles. 'Almost there,' I thought. 'John and Sera must have been waiting for me for a while now.'

Suddenly, a pang shot through my chest. I coughed out more blood. 'The recoil damage!' I gasped. 'I forgot about it.' Everything suddenly ached, and my vision grew blurry. 'Darn it...' I blacked out.