10: Mall

Time Skip to the Weekend

Stephanie's POV

I was lying on my bed, reading a book I got from the school library. The title was Abilities, Ability Levels, and How to Improve Them. I frowned at a part of the text: "-according to our studies, abilities manifest in the middle school years at the latest." 

"Come on," I kept reading, scanning the pages for the information I wanted. "There's nothing about how to get your ability to manifest?" With a sigh, I plopped the book down next my head. Then I heard my phone chime. 

Picking up my phone, I saw that Seraphina had just texted me. 

Sera: < Are u free right now?>

Me: < Uh yeah? >

Sera: < Good. Come to this address in 30 mins. >

Me: < What? Why? >

Sera: < That's John's place. We're picking him up and going to the mall. >

Me: < Ok then. See you there. >

I put my phone back down on the bedside table, grabbing my leather bracelet and putting it on. I brushed my hair and tied up in a low ponytail. I changed into a comfortable black T-shirt and a pair of shorts. I put my phone and my wallet into a small white bag, then threw it over my shoulder. 

I stepped out the door, making sure to lock it. Taking out my phone I glanced at the address Seraphina sent me again. 'This is John's address?' I thought, starting to walk there. 'It's only a ten minute walk from here. Well, he did say that it was pretty close by.'

***

I stopped walking, looking around the street I was on. 'I know it's around here somewhere.' I thought. My eyes landed on Seraphina's vibrant purple hair. She wore a light blue sleeveless shirt with white stripes and jeans. She was standing on someone's porch, talking into her phone. Spotting me, she waved me over.

"Y-yeah, my place is a mess. It'll take all day to clean..." I heard John's voice coming out of Sera's phone. It seemed to me like John was making a lame excuse to not go to the mall.

Sera replied, "If you'd just move into the dorms like all the other guys, this wouldn't be a problem anymore."

"Then I'd have to worry about my life."

"True," Sera replied, now stepping up to the front door. "Hmm, it's really too bad then."

"Yeah, and-" John stopped talking as Seraphina knocked loudly on the door. "You're already outside?!?!" He screamed into the phone.

A minute later, the door opened, and a very moody John walked out. He looked like he had rolled right out from his bed. "What?" He grumbled, glancing at me. "Both of you?"

"Aw, don't give me that look." Sera smirked.

"You should have been awake a long time ago. What kind of person sleeps until 2 pm?" I added.

Sera pushed past him into the house. "Come on, we'll help you clean."

I followed her inside, expecting to see a very messy room. But everything was squeaky clean, with everything in place except for a pair of fingerless gloves on the ground. I glanced at John, who was nervously sweating and watching Sera as she wordlessly picked up the gloves and placed them on the table. I elbowed John in the ribs. "I see. Very messy." He laughed sheepishly as Sera turned back to us.

"There! All done! Let's get going." She said with a smile. 

I laughed at the look on John's face. He groaned, "Fine, you got me. But try to keep it short this time, alright?"

***

Seraphina, John, and I had arrived at the Kovoro Mall. We went into a clothing store, and Sera and I browsed through the clothes. "Hey, what about this one?" I held up a dark blue sleeveless shirt that reminded me of the ocean. 

Sera looked at it. "Hmm. The color compliments your hair. I think you should get it." 

I smiled. "Thanks." I picked out another black shirt, and long-sleeve purple shirt, and a new pair of jeans. 

"Hey, guys?" John suddenly appeared in front of us, holding a pink T-shirt with a picture of a rabbit and the word "LAME" on it. "How's this one?" He asked, beaming. "I think the writing is pretty cool. 'LA ME', it's got to be French or something!"

I broke into laughter as Sera looked shocked at his stupidity. "You're kidding, right?" She said flatly. "That says 'LAME'."

***

As John disappeared into the fitting room, Sera and I played on our phones while we waited. I had gotten pretty attached to SlappyPigs. "I can't believe he still wanted to try it on!" I said with another laugh. 

"Yeah," Sera replied. She still had the look of utter disbelief on her face.

We looked up as the curtains swished, revealing John wearing the shirt. With a big smile on his face, he asked us, "Good?"

Sera whispered to me, "That actually doesn't look half bad!" I nodded, stifling another laugh.