30: How Much Does He Know?

Stephanie's POV

When I woke up, my eyes remained closed. My throat still hurt, but my headache had faded into a dull throb. But soon, I heard noise coming from my right side, and my head throbbed even more. My eyes flickered open, and I blinked as the light hurt my eyes. I turned my head slightly in the direction the noise was coming from.

"Why did you save me?" John was grabbing Arlo's collar, shouting into the King's face furiously. "What are you planning? What is your motive fore saving me?"

I groaned, sitting up slowly on the bed. "Keep it down," I said irritably. "You're making my head hurt more." 

John's and Arlo's heads whipped toward me, and John immediately let go of Arlo. John ran over toward my bed, seeming to forget about Arlo. "You're awake!" He exclaimed, a relieved expression on his face.

"Forget about me," I commented. "What about you?" My eyes traveled over the bandages covering John's sides and the scratches on his face. "What happened?" I demanded, my eyes flashing toward Arlo, who glared back. "Did that guy hurt you?"

"Well..." John said, scratching his head. "I was in a tough situation with some bullies, and he came and saved me." 

I raised my eyebrows. "Really? Why?" I turned to Arlo.

"Yeah, why?" John added.

Arlo scoffed. "I don't have to answer to the likes of you."

I was about to retort when I glanced over to my bedside table. I gasped when I saw my phone, broken and shattered. "What the-" I reached over and grabbed it, examining it. "What happened to my phone?!?" 

John looked equally mystified. "It was fine the last time I saw it!" he said.

I turned to Arlo. "Was it you? Did you break my phone?" I asked him, narrowing my eyes.

"Why would I do that?" Arlo gazed back at me coolly. "I didn't touch it."

Skeptically, I stared at him for a second longer. "Whatever," I shrugged, throwing the broken phone into the trash can. "I'll get a new one later."

John stalked over to Arlo. "You didn't answer the question. Why did you help me?" he growled to the King.

Arlo looked irritated. "I don't know what kind of delusional world you're stuck in. But not everything revolves around you," he snapped back harshly. "You should know," he continued, rising out of his chair. "I despise people who refuse to know their place." His eyes darted toward me for a split second, and I felt a chill run through my back. How much did he know? Arlo glared back at John. "The next time you lay your hands on me, I won't be so lenient."

Arlo pushed past John, heading for the door. John looked despondent and confused, biting on his lip. And I felt totally lost in the situation, questions brewing in my mind. 'Does Arlo know my secret?'