13: Nightmare

Unknown's POV

I walked into a room full of moniters, managed by my subordinates. As I walked in, one of the men were reporting to a certain orange haired man, "Sir, Target 93 and 94 have both been idle at coordinate -42, 77.2 for 6 six hours, 49 minutes. Should I record the Targets' location?"

"Yes, yes." Was the man's reply. He turned around and bowed quickly as he noticed my presence. "Ah, sir! I have news. Would you like to hear?"

When I nodded, he went on. "Today, I met two new targets. One was a random high tier, with an ability level of 8. The other... was the girl you've been looking for."

"Continue," I said, showing a bit of my eagerness in my voice. 

"A girl with dark blue hair and emerald eyes, who should be in her high school years now. Has an ability, yet it isn't her own... Her face... I remembered it from the pictures you showed me. A bit different now, yet I recognized her. Stephanie Morrow. Target 94."

"Excellent." I smiled slowly. "Keep a close watch on her."

"Yes, sir!"

***

Stephanie's POV

I closed my eyes, waiting for the man to strike me with his knife. Holding my breath. Waiting for death to come...

"No!" My eyes snapped open as someone jumped in front of me. A man who looked like he was in his thirties, with a handsome face and dark purple hair. Uncle! His eyes glowing a brilliant green, he raised his arm, creating a barrier around us.

My heart leaped, then fell back down as the barrier shattered when the knife slammed into it. Uncle clenched his teeth against the pain that engulfed him, looking toward me. His ability had gotten weaker, for some reason. "Stephanie..." He whispered hoarsely, eyeing the man coming toward us, his knife in his hand. "Hurry...go..."

"No!" I screamed, clutching his arm. "I'm not leaving without you!"

He shook me off roughly. "You need to leave. Now." He made a spear out of energy, holding it before him, aiming its tip at the approaching man. "While I hold him back. I can't for long..."

I shook my head, tears falling from my eyes. "Go!" He yelled as he lunged forward, aiming the spear toward the man. After a split second, I started to run, but the flames surrounded me, burning, towering above me, as I heard my uncle cry out in pain...

I snapped out of the nightmare, gasping for breath. My eyes darted around the room I was in, and I was in panic mode until my eyes landed on Sera. Then I calmed down as I remembered that I was in John's house. After that incident with the invisible being, John wouldn't let us girls go home in the dark.

'Wait,' I frowned, squinting in the dim light. 'Where is John?' Seraphina was sleeping on the couch, hugging her bear. But John was nowhere to be seen. I shrugged. Seeing as his shoes were gone, he was probably jogging or something. I checked the clock, which said it was almost 7 o'clock in the morning. Too late for my morning jog. 

With a sigh, I stretched, pushing my nightmare to the back of my mind. I got up from where I had been lying on the blanket on the ground. My teddy bear was still in my shopping bag with my new clothes. 

My movement woke Seraphina, who sat up and rubbed her eyes. "Wow, you're up early." She mumbled. I still couldn't get used to her real hair without her extensions. 

"Hardly," I said, eyeing the clock. "It's already 7. I usually get up at five to jog."

Sera was about to reply when the front door opened and John stepped inside. He wore a brown hoodie. "You're up early, too!" Seraphina exclaimed, surprised.