17 | corpse's bride

17 | CORPSE'S BRIDE

On the boat ride back to Castle Black, Jon patched up Reyanna in their cabin

On the boat ride back to Castle Black, Jon patched up Reyanna in their cabin. She had almost bled out to death. Her clothes were soaked in blood and it didn't seem to stop coming. "It'll stop soon," Jon told Reyanna as he caressed her head, then he turned his head away and bit his lip to suppress his watery eyes, "please stop soon." He whispered to whatever god was listening to his prayer. He was no Maester. He didn't know what the hell he was doing. All he did was bandage Reyanna up and yet she was still bleeding.

"I'll be fine. Remember? I promised you I would not die on you. I intend on keeping that promise." Reyanna assured as she took a look at her abdomen. The wounds were still fresh, so of course they'd still be bleeding. She knew she'd be alright. There was no need for Jon's dramatics.

* * *

Once they were back at Castle Black, Jon instructed Samwell to care for Reyanna. But she wouldn't sit still. "Reyanna! You mustn't move so much!" Sam was irritated with her.

"I— have— to see— Amira." Reyanna spoke in between gasps for air.

"H—how about I bring her to you, instead?" Sam suggested as he pinned a squirming Reyanna down.

Reyanna nodded, then Sam left her be. Reyanna hurried over to the mirror to check her wounds. Her sides were no longer bleeding, yet blood was spilling down the inner sides of her pants. She knew she was still in some kind of stabbing pain, but she didn't know where.

Whilst she was still staring at herself in the mirror, Samwell came back with Amira— who was know three times the size she was when Reyanna left her. She was practically the size of Ghost now. Sam hurried over to Reyanna and pulled her back to her bed. "I told you—"

"What was that, Sam?"
"Your cuts. That's all."
"No. Why was there blood there?!"
"..."
"Samwell Tarly!"

Sam fumbled his thumbs. He cowered in fear of her intimidating shouts. "You were pregnant."

"Were?" She waited for him to elaborate.

"You lost it. In the battle." Samwell whispered to her.

"Does Jon know?" Reyanna asked. Sam shook his head.

"Let's keep it that way." Reyanna shot Sam a look. Sam nodded, assuring he would never tell Jon of her miscarriage.

* * *

"He raised his hands. And they all stood up at once," Jon was retelling the story of Hardhome to Samwell in the Maester's library, "tens of thousands of them. The biggest army in the world." The story wasn't a great one nor was it one Jon wanted to remember. It was frightening. And the way he spoke of it, timidly, vicariously painted a perfect picture of the ominous scene.