28 | beyond the wall

28 | BEYOND THE WALL

Reyanna walked closely near Jon

Reyanna walked closely near Jon. She indulged in what little warmth being near him gave her. "You all right?" Jon asked Gendry, who had never been farther north than King's Landing. Gendry nodded, his lips unreasonably pale.

"Ever been north before?" Tormund asked the boy.

"Never seen snow before." Gendry told.

"Beautiful, eh? I can breathe again. Down south, the air smells like pig shit." Tormund chuckled.

"You've never been down south." Jon commented.

"I've been to Winterfell."
"That's the North."

"How did you live up here? How do you keep your balls from freezing off?" Gendry spoke through his chattering teeth.

"You have to keep moving." Reyanna answered him.

"You lived up here, too?" Gendry asked the queen.

She nodded. "A southern borne growing up north of the Wall. Sounds like a plot to a strange story." She chuckled.

* * *

The trek was long and unmerciful. The cold north of the Wall during the daring winter was worse than Reyanna ever remembered. She held her sword close, hoping it'd bring her guidance and protection. But, it was just another sword. It wasn't even a special one, a passed down one or even one she used before. But it was a sword. One with sharp edges that could kill the living. Yet, to the dead, it was useless. It did no harm to the walkers, so she wondered why she continued to lug around that heavy sword. She quickly unbuckled the belt, which seemed to have grown tighter around her waist, and dropped the sword.

"What are you doing?" Jon asked her.

"It's heavy." Reyanna shrugged.

Jon looked at her like she was crazy, but didn't question her, knowing she'd only grow angry at him. "Jon, am I getting fat?" Reyanna asked, wondering why she felt so heavy. Perhaps it was simply the thick cold air that was holding her down.

Jon didn't answer, knowing silence was the key to not angering a woman. Reyanna instantly assumed that his silence meant that it must be true. She suddenly felt enraged and sad all at once. Hot tears stung her eyes out of no where and they poured down her face. "You haven't even got the courage to tell me." Reyanna muttered, wiping away her tears quietly.

Jon furrowed her brows out of pure confusion at her. "Why are you crying? I didn't even—" Jon asked, worried that she was going mad.