8

Percy's POV:

Apollo's up to something.

I just know it.

He keeps....talking to me. Asking questions sharing what happened each day. And he insists that we eat dinner together every night, and just....talk.

He does most of the talking during these things, but it's still weird. I liked it better when he left me alone. 

Sometimes It's almost like he actually cares. Like he's trying to fix me for some reason other than because my father would throw a temper tantrum if he didn't. But of course, that can't possibly be it. It's Apollo, for Zeus' sake! He's known for his lack of consideration for others. Just look at the muses, they'll give you an earful.

He knows nothing about what other people feel and only thinks for himself. Like father like son, I suppose.

So why should I ever let him trick me into believing he cares for me? 

"Percy," said Apollo, from across the dinner table. "Are you listening?"

I sighed. "Not really."

"At least you're being honest." The god mumbled gloomily. He paused. "Look, Percy, I know you don't trust me, and you have no reason to, but I am trying to help you. I really do care about you."

"Why should I believe that?" I asked. "How could you possibly care? You only care for yourself."

"If only that were the truth."

This caught my attention. "What's that supposed to mean?" I asked. Surely there was nothing meaningful in Apollo's love life. Not with all the people, both men and women alike, that he's strung along time and time again, only to forget all about them not a decade later. That's how all the gods world, aside from maybe Artemis and Hera, but they can have no mortal lovers.

Apollo sighed, and for a moment, the sun god looked...tired. Not the tired you get after a long day. This tired is so much worse. A kind of feeling that drags at every fiber of your being, pulling you down, emotionally and physically. The kind of tired that only comes from blow after blow and all the while smiling through the storm as if nothing is wrong at all. 

The kind of tired I feel every day.

"I'm afraid that's a story for another day." Apollo replied. "You should get some rest. And maybe shower, you look horrible." And just like that, the tired look disappeared, replaced by a bright smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. A smile that looked warm and friendly. Careless. 

A smile that has been practiced.

It does make me wonder, could there be more to the sun god after all?

Apollo's POV:

I took care of the dirty dishes with the wave of my hand, and walked to my room as fast as I could without drawling too much attention.

As soon as the door shut behind me, and I was once again alone in the near-complete darkness of my bedroom, I let my smile drop back down into a light frown.

Well, I did want Percy to start talking to me.

Shame it was this particular topic that he was curious about...

Maybe I could get him to talk some more tomorrow. Not about this of course, but something else. Anything else.

I sighed as I climbed into bed, and lay on top of my covers. It's not like I got cold easily anyways. 

As I stared up at the dark ceiling, memories of my past, long since buried, boiled to the surface. Images of people long forgotten and places I've avoided for centuries. 

And as these visions went through my head, hot tears began to roll quietly down my cheeks.

Some things are just better left forgotten.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, I really tried to get it long enough and still done before the end of today so I'd be able to publish it on Christmas. Don't forget I'm open to any suggestions and I LOVE ready your guy's comments and opinions. Thank you for reading, and Happy Holidays!