Revelation

Nightwing watched closely, in case Red Hood decided to run, as M'gann scanned his mind.

He didn't know what to hope was the truth. If Jason was telling the truth then that would mean he didn't try to kill their little brother.

But...

If that is the truth then there is some stranger out there masquerading as Jason's other persona, that for whatever reason is out to get them.

M'gann finally removed her fingers from her head and gave a hesitant smile in Nightwing's direction.

"He's telling the truth."

Nightwing ran a hand over his face.

Part of him was now relieved. But now there was another burden as well.

When he looked back at the other two, he saw Jason glaring at M'gann, shaking in anger.

He never did like her doing that...

M'gann, however, was still slightly smiling at him.

"I can't believe you're still alive..."

"Well... alive again. I still died. Lazarus pit 'saved' my ass."

M'gann looked a little shocked, not knowing what the hell he just said, and looked back over to Nightwing with a raised eyebrow.

His arms were crossed and he just shook his head at her, not in the mood to explain anything.

"Jason, just because we know the truth now doesn't mean everyone else will. Not quickly anyways. It'd be best if you lay low for awhile..."

"No shit Dickie."

Without another word he turned on his heel and jumped off the roof to the streets below.

"Come on M'gann we better take the nearest Zeta back to the--"

A sharp pain shot across his chest, and the shock forced him to stumble forward onto his knees.

He clutched his chest with his hand, his teeth clenched in pain.

M'gann was suddenly by his side, hands on his shoulders.

"Nightwing? Are you alright?!"

"Y-yeah I'm fine. Just... we just need to get back to the Watch Tower."

_______________________________________

The moment they were beamed into the Tower, Nightwing proceeded to lean against the wall for support. M'gann carefully retracted her arm from his and said something about finding her uncle.

As soon as she left, Wally came speeding up to his side.

"Hey Dick I heard you guys... Dick?"

Nightwing forced himself to stand up straighter and give his friend a forced smile.

"I'm fine Wally... just help me sit in that chair."

Once he was seated, Wally still wouldn't calm down.

Especially when Nightwing started coughing.

It was a sudden urge to cough that caused the coughing attack. An itch-like feeling.

And once he started he couldn't stop.

Wally bent down and rested a hand on his back but that was about all he could think to do at the moment, and it didn't help that the sounds of Nightwing's coughing fit attracted other members of the YJ team.

After two minutes the coughing finally subsided and he was left gasping for air, unaware of the others who have come to see what was going on.

"Dick?"

It was a whisper near his ear but he didn't seem to hear.

His head was drooping but his breathing has eased.

He passed out.

Wally swallowed before gently taking Dick's head in his hands and raising it up slightly.

His heart dropped into his stomach.

There was blood mixed with spittle around his mouth and on his uniform.

He looked up, eyes wide, as J'onn finally made an appearance.

He silently moved to Wally's side, worry becoming more and more evident with every second.

They both had a feeling they knew what caused this.

Coughing up blood... the existing risk...

They looked at each other before Wally hefted Dick up into his arms, quickly heading for the med-bay.

Lung cancer...