Chapter 2: "Always know I can count on you, Mama Nat."

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

June was seriously sleep deprived. 

She'd been up for six hours, guns on standby, ears perked for any noise besides the rustling of sheets in the next room. Though there was a point when a snore (she wasn't sure who) scared the living shit out of her, and almost caused a bullet to go flying. 

Another time, something moved outside, in the gloom of her front lawn. June had frozen in the window, and very slowly, reached for the nine-millimeters. 

As it turned out, it was a deer. Granted, a very confused deer- it seemed to be lost- but no assassin. June watched it amble by, and vanish into the trees. 

Now it was eight in the morning, the brunette had downed at least four cups of coffee, and had attempted a form of breakfast. She managed to pull a bag of pancake mix out of the pantry, and now, thirty or so pancakes were stacked on a plate. 

As she warned earlier, there was not enough orange juice, barely enough for her, so she snuck the remainder in a glass and gulped it down before Nat and Wanda came trooping down the stairs. 

Wanda yawned and went straight to the living room where Vision and Sam stood. Nat walked over to her. "You know, you could've woken me up, right?" 

June shook her head and threw a pancake like a frisbee at Nat, taking one herself. "You needed it more than I did, and besides, sleep-deprived Natasha is crabby." 

The bleached-blonde snatched breakfast out of the air and took a bite. "Steve awake?" 

June shrugged. "Who knows?" 

"You might want to go check on him, I'll take it from here." 

"Always know I can count on you, Mama Nat." Natasha chuckled and lightly smacked her shoulder as June walked by. 

As she walked through the living room, Sam stopped her. "Thanks, June, I know it's early and Steve is-" 

"-a whole other problem I gotta deal with. Thank you though Sam." She turned to her bedroom door. "And I swear, if you eat all of the pancakes, you're dead meat."  

Wilson grinned. "There's pancakes? Hell yeah." He raced into the kitchen, leaving Wanda and Vision, who gave her a grateful nod. 

June rapped her knuckles on the wooden door. "Steve? It's me." She pushed open the door. 

Steve Rogers was standing by the foot of her bed, holding a leather-bound book in his hands. June recognized it as a photo album. 

Steve looked up when the door opened and smiled sadly. "Hi, June." She walked over to him, craning her head to look at the pictures.