Chapter 11: "They're killing themselves. They're mindless."

~   ~   ~   ~   ~ 

~   ~   ~   ~   ~ 

June watched silently from the window as Steve, Natasha, and T'Challa walked up to the edge of the Wakandan shield, meeting two other figures she couldn't make out. 

She assumed it was somewhat of a peace talk, but she didn't think it ended well. Both sides returned to their respective armies, and June resumed her pacing. 

"You're going to walk a hole in the floor at that rate." Wanda turned away from Vision for the first time in minutes toward her. 

June stopped in the same place she'd started and smiled grimly. "Sorry, I guess I'm just a bit-" 

"Nervous? We all are." 

June winced. "I hate sitting here doing nothing." 

"You're not doing nothing." 

"I'd rather be on the front lines." 

"Keeping an eye on Steve?" 

June shrugged but didn't respond. Wanda stared at her for another moment, before, again, turning her attention back to Vision. June looked out the window again and did a double take. 

The ships that had landed beforehand, their exteriors were sliding upwards. Whatever that was inside the ships came pouring out. The trees began to shake, the ground (even though June was in the tower, she could still feel it) began to shake, and she could visibly see everyone on the battlefield tense. 

And then black and grey creatures swarmed from the tree line and made a beeline for the shield. June's eyes widened and she cursed under her breath. "What the hell are those." 

"I don't want to know." 

June looked to Wanda, who'd answered. "You may need to." 

Wanda raised an eyebrow. "Pardon?" 

"If they need help down there, you're their last resort." 

It was Wanda's turn to not answer.  

June looked back to the scene on the ground and winced. The creatures were throwing themselves at the barrier. It stopped most of them, but those who managed to get through were either cut into pieces or burned severely. They crawled toward the Wakandan army, snarling. The front lines of the tribe created individual shields (June couldn't see how she was too far away) and Sam in his Falcon equipment, flew to intercept the stray ones, along with Bucky, remaining with the lines and shooting them down with his new gun. 

"They're killing themselves. They're mindless." Wanda shuddered behind her. 

Another few moments passed, bullets were shot, the mindless creatures fell and tore themselves apart at the shield, and June couldn't tear her eyes away. Sam retreated back to the lines and conversed briefly with Steve and T'Challa. Cue some more tense moments, where her friends continued to talk on the ground.