Chapter 10: "I stopped being Captain America two years ago."

~   ~   ~   ~   ~ 

~   ~   ~   ~   ~ 

When T'Challa said to get Steve a shield, June had thought more along the lines of the original Captain America shield. 

That, however, was not the case. T'Challa's sister came out with two identical shields, black, and grey with silver highlights that looked like discount Black Panther claws. 

June stood to the side, as most of the people in the room flocked to Steve or Vision. She was left staring out of the window, gazing somewhat stupidly at the ships that'd landed just inside the jungle. A line of warriors from Wakanda were the only people who remained in the city. Among them stood Bruce in the Hulkbuster armor, used to defeat his alter-ego, Rhodey in his armor, and Sam in his. Bucky was out there somewhere too, with his new metal arm and a machine gun that made her a little jealous. 

June jumped as a hand laid gently on her shoulder. "It's just me." She turned her head to find Steve adjusting his new shields on the outside of his wrists. 

"Sorry, a bit jumpy I guess." 

"We all are." Steve cleared his throat, clearly intending to send something, but June beat him to it. 

She reached over her back, grabbed the shield from her back and unhooked it. Holding it in her hands for a brief moment before reaching forward and handing it to Steve, she spoke. "I think you should have this. They need Captain America." 

He looked down at the circular flag on metal she held before shaking his head and pushing it back into her arms. "I stopped being Captain America two years ago." He paused again. "The shield isn't Captain America, the person is. I can still be a patriot without the shield. Besides, it's yours anyway, you're Miss America, and that is your shield." 

June smiled gingerly, almost cradling the shield, hesitating. She wasn't known that well in the superhero realm, Steve was. Anyone who didn't know him personally would think this was his shield, not her's. Hell, hardly anybody knew she had a shield, to begin with. 

If the people were going to rally behind anyone, it would be Steve. And that's what the people needed. 

"It's not about me, this is about what the people need, and they need a soldier to rally behind." 

"They can still follow us, follow me, with or without the shield. This is your's." 

June swallowed and slung the shield back over her should and onto her back. Steve smiled and nodded. "That's my girl." 

"Were you going to say something?" 

Steve opened his mouth. Then closed it, and opened it again, like a fish out of water. Clearly, whatever he was going to say was important, Steve was hardly ever struggled to find words. June braced herself, but his words never came, they were interrupted by Nat.