Chapter 5: "I hope you've got at least a figment of a plan."

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

The Quinjet ride lasted all of twenty minutes before the Avengers Towers was in sight. June had forgotten how damn fast the thing could travel. 

June sighed at the familiar building and stood up from the bench against the wall of the jet. Sam was piloting, and Nat sat next to her, picking at a seam in her uniform. Wanda had an arm around Vision, still limping from his wound. Steve had stood up as soon as they'd entered the city, wandering over to Sam, hand holding onto the roof. 

The ride to the city had been quiet, too quiet for June's good. Everyone was silent, save for the encouraging words Wanda occasionally mumbled into Vision's ear. 

Steve hadn't said a word to her the whole trip, in fact, he hadn't said anything since they'd entered the Quinjet. June could tell he was still bit mad- no, that wasn't the right word, more like unsettled- about the question he'd asked her, and the answer she'd given. 

June, however ticked Steve was, wouldn't change her answer, not for anything Iris meant too much to her.

The Quinjet hovered over the landing pad on the top of Avengers HQ. "Coming down," called Sam's voice from the pilot seat. June gripped the handle next to her seat, and Nat followed her action. 

The craft touched down with a soft thud. Sam killed the engines and everyone seemed to breathe out a sigh of semi-relief. We're not out of the fire yet, thought June as she stood with Nat and the others. 

Steve walked forward to the door, and June matched place with him. "I hope you've got at least a figment of a plan." 

"Somewhat." 

She nodded. "Good to know." 

The door to the Quinjet hissed open, dropping to the roof and transforming into a ramp. 

Steve walked out first, closely followed by Nat, June herself, and the others. Wanda had handed over Vision to Sam, more capable of carrying him if they needed to book-it out of the compound. 

The group trooped to the roof door, and before Steve even reached for the handle, June knew it was locked. 

"I don't assume we're getting in an easy way?" Nat chuckled lowly and Steve let go of the handle. 

"No, no I doubt it." 

June scoffed and stepped forward. "Move it, Cap, let the professional through." 

Rogers did just that, moving back to give her room to kneel eye-level to the key-hole. June pulled two bobby pins from her hair, letting two tendrils fall behind her ears, and bent one ninety degrees.