Chapter 3: "There's been another attack on New York."

~   ~   ~   ~   ~ 

~   ~   ~   ~   ~ 

Two hours had come and gone, and everyone was finally dressed, fed, and clean. 

Steve assured June he would explain when everyone was present and accounted for, and now they were gathered around the living room, all within earshot, June cleared her throat and elbowed him. "Care to tell me why you think it's a good idea to go back to New York?" 

Sam perked up, "But we are in New York, just not the city part." True enough, they were. 

June's house was indeed in New York, two or three hours outside the famed city. She moved out of her small apartment after the civil war with the Avengers, the stress of the city had been too much. 

"Steve means the city, New York City." Nat choked on the bit of pancake she was nibbling on. Wanda froze in her spot on the floor, right in front of Vision, sho didn't seem fazed at all. Neither did Sam, and June wondered if they knew. 

"Why," Wanda exclaimed, unfrozen, "in God's name would we do that?" 

Steve looked between the two females other than June herself. "I got a text." 

June scoffed. "From who? The government? Because I know damn well you don't answer to any of them." 

"From Tony." 

Nat closed her mouth, about to retaliate, and nodded. "Ah, I see." 

June remained silent, and so did the rest of the group. Steve had given a phone to Tony (a flip phone for God's sake, June was even surprised he figured out how to work it) for emergencies. 

Apparently, something had happened, because June knew Tony wouldn't touch that phone, only if his- or others- life were in danger. Clearly, something was wrong. 

"What happened?" Sam jerked his head toward Steve, who let out an inaudible sigh. 

"There's been another attack on New York." 

June chuckled. "And you all wondered why I moved out of the city." 

Steve smiled sadly and continued. "Aliens attacked this morning, from what I hear, it was a catastrophe." 

"Of course it was, Tony was on the scene, chaos follows him like a shadow." Steve raised his eyebrows at her, and June raised hers back, as though asking, 'am I wrong?' 

"Regardless of what happened, Tony needs help, and we'd promised to give it to him." 

June raised a finger. "No, you promised, I did not, and neither did anyone here. If you're planning to run back to the very people who tried to kill you, that's all fine and dandy, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to follow." June was standing now, up from the floor, hands on her hips. She was done with jumping into fights, it was the very reason she moved out of New York City. Being a free-lancer meant she could continue her job wherever she damn well pleased.