seventeen !

As soon as Everly exited the subway, she broke into a run again, running along the streets, her hair flying behind her. But she had to stop soon because her whole body was hurting and her lungs were squeezing painfully for air.

She walked along the deserted sidewalk, her hands shoved deep into her pockets. Despite the sweatshirt she was wearing, the night air was bitingly cold and she was shivering.

Finally, she reached the place she was supposed to be, and her heart sank. The car that had been parked in front of the house the few times she had been there, was gone, and all the lights in the windows were closed.

It was a Saturday night, so if the Herron family had left the house to drive out of town for the night, Everly would have to sleep out on their porch, and she would look like some kind of freak.

Everly chewed on her lower lip, her eyebrows furrowed with anxiety. She might as well just try and wait for a while. If they didn't show in half an hour, she would leave. She didn't have anything to lose anyway.

So that was how Everly found herself sitting on the front steps of Zach Herron's house, her head buried in her hands. She examined the laces of her worn out yellow converse, thoughts swirling around in her brain.

Now that she had really paused to think about her plan, it seemed less and less intelligent, and less and less likely to work out right. It was kind of like a spur of the moment thing. All she wanted to do was escape, and that was the first thing that clicked in her mind. Her desperation was immeasurable, and she had done the first thing she thought of. But now the more she thought of it, the less solid the plan seemed to be.

If Zach wasn't willing to help her, where would she go? She couldn't go home. She would end up at the place she wanted to escape from in the first place. She could probably live on the streets or something. But in the state she was in, she doubted she would survive for long. Or she could go to Ariana and Isabel, but how would she even explain her situation?

Suddenly, there was a sound of footsteps on the gravel in front of the Herrons' house and Everly groaned inwardly, cringing. The neighbours. How could she forget? The neighbours would see this strange girl, covered in bruises and ratty clothes sitting hunched in front of the Herrons' house, shivering. Surely that would raise suspicions and would lead to awkward questions, and that was the last thing Everly wanted.

She hunched down lower, her hair hanging over her face, hoping and praying whoever was there wouldn't see her. The footsteps grew louder and closer and Everly's heart pounded. Then, "Everly?"

Everly's shoulders jolted. She was shocked yet relieved to hear Zach's voice. He was standing in front of her, his eyes wide. His jaw was unhinged and he looked completely shocked and bewildered. "What are you doing here?" He exclaimed, rushing over to her.

Slowly, Everly lifted her head higher to face him and he gasped. "E-Everly, what happened to you?" He asked in horror, his eyes travelling over her badly bruised face. She winced, but nodded her head.

She nodded her head, swallowing the lump in her throat. "P-please, can we go inside?" She whispered. Her voice sounded ragged and desperate. She hated how weak she felt.

Zach nodded and hurried over to help her up. Everly felt limp and completely giddy. If he hadn't helped her she would've just passed out right then and there. The two of them made their way into the house, Everly limping and stumbling.

Zach led her up to his room, and as soon as they entered, Everly collapsed on his couch, breathless. Zach stared at her concernedly. "I'll be right back, please don't move," he said anxiously, and he ran out of the room. Minutes later he came hurrying back holding a container of water and a washcloth.

He immediately dipped the washcloth into the water and started dabbing it onto Everly's bruise, which was beginning to swell, turning even bluer. "What the hell happened to you?" He demanded, and he sounded urgent and worried.

Everly didn't know why, but she just broke down and started telling Zach everything that had happened. She was so confused. He used to be the person she hated the most, other than her parents, and she was telling him her deep, dark past. But she couldn't tell Ariana and Isabel, her best friends about it. She felt ashamed of herself, but at the same time, telling Zach seemed so right. Something inside Everly told her that she could trust him, which she couldn't explain.

"So you ran away?" Zach asked, open-mouthed. Everly nodded somberly.

"I don't blame you," Zach said grimly as he dipped the washcloth back into the container of water.

"So why'd you come here?" He asked.

"I really needed somewhere to go, and you're the only person who's address I know," Everly admitted.

"But what about Ariana? And Isabel?" He inquired, raising his eyebrows.

"I don't have their addresses, and I don't know if I can tell them what's been going on," Everly mumbled, her voice hardly louder than a whisper.

Zach didn't say anything, but he went to place the washcloth back on Everly's cheek. Before he could, however, she pulled away from his touch. He frowned, concerned. "What's wrong?"

Everly made to stand up. "I-I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking, coming here and barging in on you. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come, I'm being stupid," She stammered, beginning to gather her things up. She winced at the sudden, painful movement.

Zach held out a hand, stopping her. "No, no, no, no Everly. You're not stupid, Everly listen to me," He said very quickly and desperately.

Everly stopped in her tracks, staring at him. "No, I get it. I really do. And I understand that you need a place to stay and everything. I can help you, Everly. You can stay here," Zach said.

She shook her head. "No, Zach. I don't want to trouble you. I really don't want to put this kind of pressure on you. I thought you could help, and maybe you can, but I wasn't thinking straight when I came here. Now I know how weird and stupid this all is. I'm just gonna go home," She said resolutely, swinging her bag over her shoulder.

Zach grabbed her hand. "Everly, please. You can't stay there. You look horrible," he said and then winced at his own remark. "Not that way, I'm sorry. I just mean they don't treat you right there. You can't go back. If it goes on, you could get killed!" He exclaimed.

Everly fell silent. He was right. She didn't know what to say. "Please. It's okay, you won't bother me. I promise," Zach said.

"What about your parents? They probably won't be okay with this," Everly said as defiantly as she could, but her tone was less confident.

Zach seemed to think about this for a second. "I'll talk to them," He replied after a moment.

"Zach, we—We aren't that close yet. We started off on a bad note. This is weird, and you're probably just saying this to be nice," Everly said.

"Everly, shut up. I don't care, okay? You're not going to live in that house where they don't treat you properly. You're gonna stay here, and you're going to get better. It doesn't matter we didn't start off on a good note. You told me last night we were friends, and friends help each other out. And you came here because you needed help, and if I let you go back to that fucking house to those horrible people, and something happens to you again, I'll never forgive myself," Zach said firmly.

In a matter of two seconds, his determined, almost angry expression vanished and was replaced by a softer, almost pleading one. "Please."

Everly smiled slightly at him, warmth flooding her chest for some inexplicable reason.

"Okay."

________________________________

guys! if you go back to the chapter that contains my playlist, you'll see that i've added a cast for this story as well. please go check it out if you want to!

~ k