eighteen !

Everly lay on Zach's couch for the second time that week, a blanket draped over her. The room was dim, and Zach had went to take a shower. The rest of the house was completely silent. Zach had told her that the rest of the family was out of town because his mom had to go do something and he had begged off from the trip, saying he was tired and wanted to stay home.

She lay still, listening to the sound of the water from inside the bathroom. She felt restless and she had nothing to distract her from the pain. So she dug out her phone and logged onto her anonymous Instagram account. It was devoid of any messages from Tyler. She felt slightly disappointed but she typed in a message for him anyway.

@panicatthebookstore: hi tyler. i have lots of things to tell you. text me when you can.

     She sighed and shut off her phone but as soon as she did, her phone beeped with a message. She unlocked her phone.

@notofflinee: you alright? what's up?

@panicatthebookstore: you know my shitty parents?

@notofflinee: yeah. what about them? did they hurt you again or something?

@panicatthebookstore: yes. it was too much for me to handle so i might've run away from home

@notofflinee: oh wow

@notofflinee: honestly if i were you i would've done the same

@notofflinee: what happened? did they find out?

@panicatthebookstore: no. they probably won't care I'm gone though

@notofflinee: where are u now? are you gonna live on the streets or something?

@panicatthebookstore: of course not. and fyi im staying over at my friend's house for a while. idk what I'm gonna do though. i feel bad for bothering him but he insisted on letting me stay. but i can't stay here forever.

@notoffline: who knows? i mean if he's your friend he cares about you. and if he cares about you, he'll help you figure something out

@panicatthebookstore: maybe.

@panicatthebookstore: listen, i have to go. im really tired and i need some sleep. i'll talk to you tomorrow. bye. thanks for everything (:

@notofflinee: anything for you everly.

     Just then, the bathroom door swung open and Zach came into the room in his pyjamas, some sweatpants and a sweater. His hair was damp and ruffled and his eyes looked tired. But when he saw her sitting up on the couch, he smiled at her. "Are you alright?"

     Everly shrugged. "Sure, I guess."

     "Does it still hurt?" Zach asked in a hushed voice. Everly nodded. "I'm fine. It'll go away," she said, but she knew even that was a lie.

     "Look, I know you're really tired and all, but I need you to explain what's going on. Everything. From the start. I wanna help you," Zach said, and he seemed genuine.

     Everly drew a deep breath. "Okay." She had no idea why she was agreeing. But it just felt right. Her gut told her he could be trusted, and she always listened to her gut. Maybe if she told him now, it would be easier for her to explain to Ariana and Isabel. So she started telling him everything.