twenty-three !

Everly sat down at her usual lunch table. Ariana and Isabel were already there, munching on their food and gossiping about something.

     "What're you guys talking about?" Everly asked cheerfully, swinging her backpack off her shoulder and setting it beside her.

     "Herron has a new record," Isabel told her, her eyes somewhere else.

     "She means that he has a new record because he's still hanging out with Lavender Huerta," Ariana explained, noticing Everly's nonplussed expression.

     "It's been, what, a month? He should've ditched her by now." Isabel suddenly laughed coldly. "She's probably giving him good sex, that's why they're still together."

     Everly frowned. "They're actually not together. They're just hanging out, that's all," She told them.

     Ariana scoffed. "I'm guessing pretty boy told you that? I wouldn't be surprised, since you guys work together for that science project."

     Everly raised an eyebrow. Pretty boy? Seriously? "Yeah, he did."

     Isabel rolled her eyes. "He's such an asshole." Ariana nodded in agreement. "For real, I don't know how you put up with him," She said pitifully, toward Everly.

     Everly clenched her jaw. "You know, he isn't bad at all. He's really nice, actually," She retorted, trying to sound less mad than she was.

     "You're just saying that because he hasn't tried to get in your pants yet, Everly," Ariana replied swiftly. Isabel shakes her head. "Everly, seriously. He's probably pretending that he's not a bad guy in front of you so he can get laid," She says impatiently.

     Everly scowled at her, stung. "Firstly, do you seriously think I'm that kind of girl to do that? And secondly, you've never spoken to him except to insult him so you can't just say that about him because you don't know him. Not like that. I'm sorry, but that's really not what he's like," She snapped.

     With that, she snatched her bag up and stalked off, leaving Ariana and Isabel sitting stunned behind her.