twenty-one !

"She likes you, you know," Zach said thoughtfully. It was around eleven at night and the both of them were up in Zach's room, Everly on her couch, and Zach in his bed.

     "Who?" Everly asked distractedly, gazing at the dim ceiling. She was too occupied with her own thoughts.

     "Reese," Zach replied.

     "What makes you say that?" Everly looked away from the ceiling, fixing her eyes on Zach instead.

     Zach smiled. "She's my little sister. We're really close. I know her, and I can tell she likes you," He said.

     Everly couldn't help but smile too. It always meant a lot to her when other people's family members liked her. "That's nice. She's great too."

     "Did you really mean it earlier? When you said I sang well?" Zach said teasingly, looking as if he was about to laugh.

     Everly chuckled. "You're so vain. And yes, of course I meant it."

     Both of them laughed but then fell quiet a while later. All was silent until Everly broke the silence a moment later with a heavy sigh.

     "You okay?" Zach asked concernedly. Everly shrugged a noncommittal shrug. "Yes," she responded bluntly before turning over in her couch to face the wall, away from Zach.

     There was a rustle of blankets and movement and Everly suddenly felt someone sit at the end of the couch by her feet. She looked up, frowning. "Zach, what?"

     "Everly, you're not okay." He said it like a statement, not a question.

     Everly sighed tiredly and lay back down. "Zach, I told you. I'm fine. Just tired."

     Zach wouldn't give in. "When girls say they're fine, they aren't really fine. And you're obviously not fine. Will you tell me what's wrong?"

     When Everly was silent, Zach piped up again. "I just wanna help you. We're friends."

     Finally, Everly sat up beside Zach. Why not? He just wanted to help.

     Everly tucked her knees into her chest and stared at the bathroom door, not looking at Zach. She took a deep breath. "I-I'm sorry."

     Even though she couldn't see him, she could hear the confusion in his voice. "What? Everly, why are you apologising?" He questioned.

     Everly swallowed hard. "I just feel so guilty being here. I'm bothering you and your family. You have to take care of me, I'm just an added burden," She cried out. "Your mom already deals with three kids and your dad and she doesn't even like me or know me and I just barged in and disturbed you guys!"

     Zach reached out and touched her hand ever so lightly. "Everly, you aren't bothering—"

     Everly pulled her hand away. "Yes I am, Zach! Do you see how your mom acts around me? I'm not stupid, Zach. I've spent years trying to read signals and seeing through people and I know she thinks I'm a burden, that I'm just ruining your lives," Everly exclaimed, aware of the tears prickling her eyes and trickling down her cheeks. She brushed them away furiously, looking away from Zach.

     Zach was silent. Everly buried her face into her knees, sobbing. Zach didn't say anything; instead he reached forward and wrapped his arms around her tightly. "Come here," he whispered.

     Everly obliged, her body quavering. Zach's arms were around her shoulders and she broke down into his chest, crying quietly. "I'm sorry, Zach. I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry..." She mumbled, her words muffled.

     Zach closed his eyes, only hugging her tighter. "Don't apologise Everly. I care for you and I want to help you. I don't care what my family says. You're not a bad person. I know you didn't say that, but I know that's how you feel," He said firmly.

     "But I am a bad person for all this. I've just been selfish and—"

     "You aren't a bad person. Don't say that! You haven't done anything. It's just your shitty parents that drove you to do this! All you do is stay in my room and eat the food here, you don't even do anything wrong!"

     "Who's the one who always helps to clean my room and the house even if it's not hers? Who's the one who always insists on buying things for herself and wanting to help to pay the fucking rent even when she doesn't have that much money yet? Who's the one who's always nice to us, to Reese?"

     Everly stopped sobbing, her breathing going back to normal.

     Zach pulled her away from him so he could look her in the eyes. Her face was flushed and her eyes were watery and bloodshot.

     "You're not a bad person, Everly. You're not bothering us. Hell, you're helping us. My parents are just blinded. I promise, they'll wake up sooner or later," He said comfortingly.

     Everly looked burnt out from all the crying. "Promise?" She asked weakly.

     Zach smiled. "Promise. Now go get some sleep."

     Everly laid back down on her couch and as soon as her head hit the pillow, she began to doze off. Zach gingerly took the blanket and pulled it up to her chin.

     "Goodnight, Zach," She said, already half unconscious.

     Zach smiled softly. "Goodnight, Everly."

     Then he added, "I love you."