(5) Rose

We walk out to Nighttime on the north back of the Thames next to the RAF monument.

"We lost the signal, We got so close." The Doctor says angrily and I sigh grabbing his hand, "we'll find it" i whisper and he smiles.

"We've moved. Does it fly?" Rose says.

"Disappears there and reappears here. You wouldn't understand." The Doctor says.

"If we're somewhere else, what about that headless thing? It's still on the loose." She says.

"It melted with the head. Are you going to witter on all night?" I say bitterly.

"I'll have to tell his mother. Mickey. I'll have to tell his mother he's dead, and you two just went and forgot him, again! You're both right, you are alien." She says.

"Look, if We did forget some kid called Mickey" I start.

"Yeah, he's not a kid." She says.

"It's because we are trying to save the life of every stupid ape blundering on top of this planet, all right?" I say angrily and the Doctor squeezes my hand.

"All right." She says.

"Yes, it is!" The Doctor says.

"If you are an aliens, how comes you both sound like you're from the North?"

"Lots of planets have a north." The Doctor says defensively.

"And I pick up any accent he regenerates to" I say and the Doctor lightly hits my arm, and rose looks at us confused before asking.

"What's a police public call box?" She says looking at the Tardis.

"It's a telephone box from the 1950s. It's a disguise." The Doctor says.

"Okay. And this, this living plastic. What's it got against us?" She says and I scoff.

"Nothing. It loves you. You've got such a good planet. Lots of smoke and oil, plenty of toxins and dioxins in the air, perfect. Just what the Nestene Consciousness needs. It's food stock was destroyed in the war, all its protein plants rotted, so Earth, dinner!" I Say dramatically.

"Any way of stopping it?" She says and the Doctor lets go of my hand and holds up a tube of blue liquid. I knew right away it was anti-plastic.

"Anti-plastic" The Doctor and I say together.

"Anti-plastic?" Rose asks.

"Anti-plastic. But first we've got to find it. How can you hide something that big in a city this small?" The Doctor says.

"Hold on. Hide what?" Rose says.

"The transmitter. The Consciousness is controlling every single piece of plastic, so it needs a transmitter to boost the signal." I Say.

"What's it look like?" She asks.

"Like a transmitter. Round and massive, slap bang in the middle of London." The Doctor says. "A huge circular metal structure like a dish, like a wheel. Radial. Close to where we're standing. Must be completely invisible."

Rose then nudges me and I look at what she's  is staring at on the south bank but the penny doesn't drop for the doctor.

"What? What is it? What?" The Doctor asks and I point to the London eye.

"Oh. Fantastic!" The Doctor says.

~~~~

The Doctor and I run hand in hand with Rose by our side as we run across Westminster Bridge.

"Think of it, plastic all over the world, every artificial thing waiting to come alive." The Doctor says.

"The shop window dummies" I add

"the phones" he says

"the wires" i say back.

"the cables" he adds

"The breast implants." Rose says.

"Still, we've found the transmitter. The Consciousness must be somewhere underneath." The Doctor says.

"What about down here?" Rose asks as we look over the parapet and sees a large manhole entrance at the bottom of some steps.

"Looks good to me." The Doctor smiles. We run down and the Doctor opens up the hatch. There is red light illuminating from inside.