CHAPTER 1

JENNIE

People say that high school days are the best times of our lives. But why does mine suck? Like, I'm already in my last year as a high school girl yet I still didn't manage to make new friends. I literally have no one other than my mom.

Every day I am hoping that something interesting will happen in my life but unfortunately, there's always nothing new. It's like reading the same page of a book over and over again.

I don't know what is wrong with me. I wonder why no one ever tried approaching me. Do I look weird? Do I behave differently? I used to overthink about that but I eventually got used to it. I learned to accept that no one is interested in getting along with me. I even started to like this situation a little.

Loner, is that what they call it? Well, I usually sit on the furthest side of the room beside the window and think of how boring my life could get. I end up sighing multiple times.

"Miss Kim Jennie! What is the function of our pancreas," Miss Kang asked which made me snap out of my train of thoughts.

"The pancreas is responsible for controlling the sugar in our body," I answered plainly.

"Very good Miss Kim." She said and gestured for me take my seat. That was actually an easy question, even sixth graders could probably answer that. Anyway, she proceeded with her discussion. Honestly, I don't know if she was really just asking us to recite or if she called because she noticed that I wasn't paying attention. It's not that I am being arrogant or something, it's just that I already memorized this topic and I probably shouldn't have.

So boring, what's new? What's new?

The class ended like usual, nothing new. You guessed it, still boring. I just watched as my classmates leave the room in pairs or by group. Some of them even have friends waiting for them outside. I'll admit that I'm envious of what they have. Do I still hope to make new friends this year? Yes, I do. Who doesn't want to have friends?

I sighed for the nth time and just went up to where I usually go, the rooftop. This place is where I let my deep thoughts eat me. It's also where I let my frustrations out sometimes. I even fell asleep here a lot of times already.

"L-Lisa, I-I really like you. Please accept my confession," I heard someone say. I think it's coming from the stairs towards here. As the curious girl that I am, I sneak a peek to find out who was there.

And that's how I saw two people. One was a cute girl with chubby cheeks like those of chipmunks. She was tall and her hair was wavy and as red as a rose.

Then I shift my gaze to the other person who was standing in front of the red hair and damn, I was astonished by how pretty she was. She's also tall, probably the same height as the other girl. Her hair was blonde reaching to her shoulders. Her bangs suit her so damn well.

She's so gorgeous, she's like a living doll. Is she even real? Based on how they look, it seems like the three of us are just at the same age, if not, I'm sure there are only one or two years difference.

"Rosé, what are you talking about? You know I can't." The blonde girl said in a serious tone. Her voice sounds so cool though. It kind of feels like floating in cold water. Yeah, I was exaggerating that.

Anyway, so, this is a love confession happening here. Who wouldn't fall for a pretty girl like her though? I bet she got a ton of suitors chasing after her. Not just boys but girls as well.

I think I like her too.

'No Jennie, you idiot. You can't like someone you just saw.'

Yeah, right. How can you like someone you just saw? I don't even know her and surely, she doesn't know me and I doubt that she ever will. Besides, she rejected that gorgeous red hair what makes me think that she'll not do that to me as well? I mentally slapped myself. Wait, what the hell? Why am I eavesdropping on other people's conversations?

Damn, I think I have to go back.

So yeah, I'm probably unlucky today because when I was about to get back to my where I was earlier, my water bottle fell making a noise that took the two girls' attention.

"W-what was t-that?" the red-headed girl panicked.

And the blonde started to come in my direction. I panicked as well, fortunately, I found a place to hide just in time before she see me. I saw her look around trying to check if someone was there but luckily she didn't find me.

"There's no one here," the blonde announced.

"So Lisa, I—" I heard the red-headed girl was trying to say something but she was cut off when the other girl said, "Rosé, you know the answer. I'm really sorry and I have to go."

After that, the pretty blonde girl left. Poor red-head, I wish I can talk to her but I can't. She'll probably think that I'm weird for eavesdropping on their conversation and she might get embarrassed more, I don't want that to happen.

Anyway, I was expecting her to cry but she didn't. She just heave a deep sigh instead. And said, "I was expecting this. I just don't understand why you'd like someone who doesn't even seem to be interested in you."
Then she chuckled before leaving.

"Well, that was weird. Maybe, I just don't get these things. I mean people confessing. I wonder what that feels like? Having someone to tell you they like you." I mumbled underneath my breath. But oh silly me, I don't even have a friend yet I'm here thinking about experiencing a love confession.