CHAPTER 8

JENNIE

Jisoo told me we'll eat lunch together and she also said she wants to introduce her best friend to me. Actually, I am nervous about meeting this friend. I mean when was I comfortable with befriending other people, to begin with? I envy Jisoo for having a best friend though. I wish I had one.

To be honest, this is the first time that someone invited me to eat with them. So, I'm a little uneasy but what could go wrong? Before I overthink again, I quickly packed my things into my backpack before heading to the cafeteria. I don't want to keep my new friend waiting.

As I enter the cafeteria, I immediately look for her. There are a lot of people today which makes me a bit uncomfortable but I guess I could handle this. I just have to find her quickly because I am starving already. So, I looked around the whole cafeteria, and there, I found her at the sixth table in the third row. She was waving at me so I smiled and went to where she is.

I was about to approach Jisoo unnie when I notice that someone is standing beside her. My eyes widened in surprise as I saw the blonde girl. You know, from the rooftop incident. Our eyes met and my heart started to beat erratically. Those brown orbs are just too overwhelming.

No, it's pulling me like gravity. Oh those thick long lashes, they make her eyes prettier. Just look at that fair and clear skin, you won't even see a single pore. I can't believe I can see her perfection up close.

I realized we were staring at each other eyes for a minute. Heat rose to my face. And I know I look like a tomato at this moment so I broke the eye contact. Damn, she probably sees me blushing. It's so embarrassing. Why do I always end up being awkward around people? Come on Jennie, just act normal. Don't panic, they're just uh-she's just a person, like you.

"So Jennie this is my best friend, Lisa Manoban. Lisa yah this is Jennie, the girl I was talking about earlier," Jisoo introduced us to each other and I couldn't look in her eyes again. How can I? I'm still freaking shy.

I was utterly surprised when Jisoo unnie grabbed my hand and made Lisa and I shook hands with each other. She probably noticed that we weren't doing anything. She didn't have to do it though, it's making me more embarrassed. I just hope that my hand isn't sweating.

Lisa's hand is soft and so long. How could a girl's hand be this pretty? This is so illegal. Jisoo let go of our hands but Lisa and I didn't do the same thing.

"There, you weren't doing it so I did that for you hihihi," Jisoo Unnie said which made me snap out of it. Damn, we've been holding each other's hands for a couple of seconds already.

"Uhm, L-Lisa my hand," I said awkwardly. She immediately let go of my hand as if she was burned.

"Sorry," she said while wearing a poker face. I couldn't see what she was thinking. Did she find my hand disgusting? Oh Jennie, stop overthinking.

"It's okay," I smiled.

"You guys stay here. I'm gonna get our food," Jisoo said and left. Seriously, did she just leave me with someone I don't know? It's uh, a bit uncomfortable. Not that I don't like Lisa's presence but it's kind of making me conscious about myself. I mean I am sitting in front of the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my life, so how can I calm my insides.

So, there was an awkward silence. Neither of us dared to talk. Well, I tried to speak but it was like there was something in my throat. I'm afraid my voice would crack if I do. Then I decided that I'll just keep my mouth shut because I'm afraid that I might say something weird or offensive. However, after a few minutes, none of us still tried to speak and the awkwardness was starting to be unbearable so...

"Li-"
"Jen-"

We said in unison which surprised us both.

"You first," and again, we said it together. What the hell is wrong with me? This is really embarrassing.

"Uhm how did you and Jisoo become friends?" she asked without looking at me.

"Oh, it was few days ago. She approached me during our PE class. She's nice, she's actually the first person to ask me to be their friend," I replied.

"That girl is a real social butterfly, I am serious. I'm telling you, she's not even my classmate but she has more friends in my class than I do," she said and shook her head. To be honest, I was expecting her to t least chuckle but she didn't, her little smirk was cute though.

"Wow, she's really awesome," I mumbled.

"How about you? Why don't you have other friends?" she asked. I sighed before saying, "I don't know. It just seems like no one wants to be friends with me. Well, if I could, I would actually be the one doing the first move but I just can't. I always end up overthinking like what if they'll think that I'm annoying or that I am pushing myself to them."

"Well, you're not annoying. That's for sure. You're an amazing person, Jennie," she said which made me look at her. She cleared her throat and said, "I mean yeah you seem like an amazing person. You're also pretty, so why would they not want to be friends with you?"

"Huh? I am what?" Did I hear it right? Did she say I'm pretty? For real?

She looked away and said, "Jennie, I don't think you have a hearing impairment."

"Uh thank you, I guess," I replied shyly. Why does she have to say things like that anyway?

"So, what do you think about my friend?" Lisa asked, bringing the topic back to Jisoo.