Chapter 6

I checked my phone once more before putting it away. I couldn't get over what he said. What bothered me was that he wasn't making any moves. Did he already go home for break? I obviously still take it as a blessing, but why would he say something like that knowing he wasn't going to be around. "Was he trying to use a scare tactic? How lame." It made sense if you thought about it. Just when I thought he couldn't get more annoying, he pulls something like this.

I entered the classroom for the last class of the day and I happened to be a little early. I looked out the window in hopes of seeing something worth looking at. There was nothing. I sighed heavily then took my seat. "Yu!" I rolled my eyes as Takeru had finally arrived. "Do you know how close you were to being late?" "It'll be worth it." I have him a questioning look as he took something out of his pocket. "Oh no. Not another party." "It'll be fun. I promise no one else you know will be there except me. I hear the house is pretty rich looking." "Really?" He nodded then turned in his seat.

I heard the bell ring and took another look at the information on the piece of paper he provided. "It's our senior year...Maybe I should loosen up a bit. Just a bit." I looked over to see that Takeru had taken off without me. "Some friend..." I folded the paper and stuck it in my pocket before leaving the classroom.

I made a stop by my locker then noticed a letter sticking out of it. "I swear, if this is a prank..." I looked around before taking it out. I flipped it over, looking for the sender. I couldn't find one, so I hoped to find out who on the inside. I took out the card then watched as glitter fell onto the floor. "'You are invited to the Splendor ball on December 31. We will bring in the new year all together.' What kind of crap is this?" I harshly closed the card and sent glitter up towards my face. There was no name in the card either.

____________

I was beyond frustrated. Neither Aoi nor Takeru had received an invitation like this. I thought of asking Ryoken but immediately dismissed the idea. Then it dawned on me. "Did he send this?" I quickly scooped up my phone and tapped on his number. After a few rings, he picked up. "Terrible timing on wanting to deny me my payment." "Cut the crap. You sent me a fake invitation didn't you?" "Invitation? To where?" "Don't play innocent. Admit it!" "As much as I'd like to take credit for your unhappiness, it wasn't me." His tone was genuine. "It really wasn't?" "That's right. Now if there's nothing e-" I hung up then tossed my phone onto the bed. "Then who sent this?"

I had looked up the so called Splendor ball online and only saw information on the venue. I looked up for what sort of people attended and it only said it was a mix of world famous celebrities to your average burger flipper. It was weird, that much is true, but knowing other average people would be there made it seem less intimidating. I took note of the attire that was expected to be worn. The only problem was how would I get there? I looked to see what public transportation I'd need to get there then went into shock at how long it'd take. "I'm better off not going then..." My phone started to ring and I was reluctant to answer.

"What?" "I said, I'll take you to the Splendor ball." "How did you even figure out what I was talking about." I could hear water running in the background along with a woman's voice yelling. "I am cooking! Calm down, god. Sorry, my mother thinks I'm slacking in the kitchen. Anyway, what do you say? I'm not charging." He had point and it was better than a 3 hour trip by transportation. "Fine. So I'm assuming you can drive?" "Indeed. You can't? You are of age." "It's none of your business. Just make sure to get here early enough so we can make it on time." "Then, does 7pm work for you? Since it starts at 9." "Yeah." "See you then, Yusaku the no refund kid." "Hey!" He had already hung up.

I furiously typed on the keyboard for ways that I could murder someone without them making a sound. I then stopped as I calmed down. Jail didn't fit someone like me. I erased my search history from the web then sighed. He could breathe and it would get under my skin. I becoming too irritable these days. I blamed him. My life was simple before him. Scam a few idiots and treat myself and my friends to nice things. I let my head slip and land on my keyboard. I then thought about what I had just done. "One, I just voluntarily agreed to go to a party. Two, I agreed to go with him without looking for other options. What the hell is going on!?"