Chapter 15

I had finally finished the first book Ryoken had bought me, Neurosis. Just as I had thought, it was a good read. Still, I thought it could've been written a bit better. I picked up the third then decided to save it for later. I didn't want to do homework, but if I waited any later I wouldn't have time to finish it all. I psyched myself up to doing it then opened up my books.

The sound of my ringtone shook me from my sleepy state. "Takeru?" I tapped accept then put him on speaker. "What's up?" "Well, you could turn on the news. Or not. Your choice." I headed to the living room and turned on the TV. "So, no school." "Right." I sighed in content. "The world is watching out for me." "Waited until Sunday to do it all huh?" "Indeed." I turned off the TV then headed back to my room. "So, besides homework, what are your plans for today?" "I planned to visit Aoi." "What for?" "Reasons." That meant he wasn't going to tell me.

"Why's it a secret?" "It just is. Anyway, what about you?" "Eh, maybe start working on the game..." He seemed interested in the game. "Can I be in it?" "You are. It's going to be a slice of life game based on my life." "Woah." Obviously I wasn't going to include the illegal things. "Yeah. So I basically won't be leaving home." "That's no surprise." We talked a bit longer before I hung up. I started on my homework so I could focus the rest of my time on the game.

____________

I was working on the game when my phone rang again. I had moved it far from reach so I couldn't see who was calling. I liked my ringtone, so I let it play out until the call disconnected. I stopped working as the person had called again. I rolled my chair over to my bed to see who. "Of course it'd be him."

I put Ryoken on speaker then went back to work. "Hey Yu! You home?" "You're asking an anti-social scammer if he's home or not?" "Fair. So, can I come over?" "Absolutely not." He had gone quiet. Maybe I was too harsh about it. "Then I won't bug you." "Actually...come..." I was glad it was only an audio call as he couldn't see my tinted face. I wasn't used to asking people for things, especially to come over to my place to hang out. "Then I'll be there in an hour. Also, don't force yourself to do things." He hung up after saying that. Was I forcing myself to let him come over? I shook my head as I decided not to dwell on it.

____________

The doorbell was rung multiple times until I had yelled for him to stop. I unlocked the door then was pulled into a hug. "Looks exactly the way I remember it." "Sorry for not redecorating...?" He let me go then headed for the living room. I noticed he had brought a few bags inside with him. "What's in the bags?" He looked at me then grinned. "Secret."

I shoved him then peeked in the bag. I pulled out snacks then looked at him. "Food?" I looked in the other bags and saw books in one and a few movies in another. I didn't know what to think. "I made sure to pick things that'd interest you." My mind reeled at what the appropriate response would be. Was this a simple at home hang out or was it more? I shook my head as it couldn't be more, it was Ryoken for pete's sake.

"You can't seem to get enough of me huh?" I laughed then looked at him. His expression was different. I didn't know what it was nor how to deal with it. I looked away then rummaged through the books. "L-Let's start with books." He halted my movement then picked out a movie. "Let's watch a movie instead." I pulled my hand free of his hold but remained silent. My hand felt tingly again. "Fine."

He wasn't kidding when he said he chose something that I'd be interested in. My eyes were glued to the screen the entire time. The only times I looked away was if one of us paused it for a bathroom break or we needed a drink refill. "That movie was awesome! How'd you know I like this?" "I picked based on the stories you picked up back at the bookstore." That was pretty observant. I never expected something like that from Ryoken. It made me feel a bit touched that he cared enough to learn my tastes.

"I know it's a bit late for this but, I hope I didn't interrupt anything." I shook my head then smiled. Realization came crashing in and I quickly wiped it off my face. "What's wrong with me? Suddenly smiling at him like that..." He didn't seem to notice which made me feel relieved. "I heard you typing on your keyboard on the phone. Scamming more people?" I shook my head again then brought my knees to my chest. "I stopped doing that a while ago..." I could feel his eyes on me. "You did? I thought you would've kept going." I hid my face before I spoke. "Someone's words got me to stop. I..."

I stopped myself before the truth came out. He didn't need to know exactly why. That I stopped so he'd see me in a better light and find me more likable. It sounded sappy. "Well, whoever it was I'm glad. You shouldn't waste talent on something like that. Is there any trace of it left?" "No. Oh!" I grabbed his wrist then dragged him to my room.

"I'm working on this." He looked at my screen and seemed impressed. "What is it?" "A slice of life game about my life, minus the illegal things." He really seemed impressed by it all. "Can I be a tester?" I looked at him and his eyes met mine. His eyes were sincere. "I guess so..." He happily cheered then pulled me closer. My heart had skipped a beat.