Chapter 7

I had crossed another day off ever since I stupidly agreed to go. I thought of canceling, but I searched the web and saw that everyone would know your name if you didn't appear. And they wouldn't see you in such a good light. I started to wish I hadn't been invited. I looked back at my calendar then sighed. The ball was tomorrow. It was interesting how fast time moves when you least expect it to. My phone rang and I sluggishly picked it up to answer.

"Hey, just checking to see if we're still on for tomorrow." "What's tomorrow?" "Remember the party you agreed to go to?" "I did?" The ice block then shattered. "I did. Oh my god." "What?" "What time does the party start?" "About 8. It's not far from my place, so it shouldn't take you long to come over." I debated the pros and cons of telling him about tomorrow. "I...can't go. There's something important I need to have done before the new year comes in. I'm sorry." I quickly hung up so he couldn't inquire further. I felt a bit guilty for turning him down, but I couldn't risk having my name known countrywide.

____________

It was finally Friday and I started to dread everything. Parties weren't my forte and I wasn't the slightest bit excited to see Ryoken. I scowled heavily as I thought back to the endless torture he's already put me through. I looked at my phone wondering if he'd pull something last minute. What bugged me was that he hasn't done anything ever since that phone call 2 weeks ago. Why was I bothered by it rather than happy? I drummed my fingers against the desk as I tried to figure out what I wanted to do.

I tapped on the number then started to regret it. "Hello?" "Are you busy?" "What's this? Yusaku is initiating something?" "I'm hanging up." "Wait, what were you going to ask?" Did I really have nothing else better to do? I could lie and call it all a prank. "Yusaku? Is something wrong?" "Stop showing fake concern. I know your goal is your refund. I was just going to ask if we could hang out." "Are you, the prideful Yusaku, asking me to keep you company? I thought you didn't like me." "I don't. Forget I said anything." "Ah, drop your address. I'm going to need it later. Unless you want to grab your things now then come back with me so we can change?" "That's doable."

I leaned against the wall outside as I waited for Ryoken. I didn't know what compelled me to make plans with him, but I knew he'd alleviate my boredom somehow. I checked my watch once more as I waited. A car pulled up then honked. "Ryoken?" He rolled down the window then waved. "Hurry and get in. It's cold." He didn't have to tell me twice. I closed the door then felt the car take off. I put on my seatbelt then kept my attention on the world outside of the car. "So, where to?" "Anywhere I guess." "So, a landfill would be okay?" "Yep." "Alright then." I really didn't care where we ended up, but I preferred that it was somewhere quiet.

He pulled into a parking lot then parked the car. "Where is this?" "Just get out." I followed after him as he headed towards a small building. He pushed open the door then faced me. "A nice and quiet bookstore, just for you." I was expecting a place more like...him. How did he know I preferred places like this? "You don't have to stay here." "I don't mind. I'll go find seats." He was being too generous. He must be plotting for something, and that something is his refund. I scanned the shelves then stopped at a book. "Neurosis huh..." I looked at the back cover and saw it had nothing to do with anything medical.

I carried Neurosis and two others as I looked around for Ryoken. It wasn't a big place, yet I couldn't find him. "Over here." No wonder I couldn't find him. He had his back to me. "So, what did you find bookworm?" "What, do you want to read one?" "Sure." I couldn't help the laugh that escaped from my throat. "You? Read?" "Yeah, I do read." "I'm sorry, but I really can't believe that. Oh god." I could see him fuming through my blurring vision. He snatched a book from my lap then opened it up. "Hey, I wanted to read that." "Too bad." "Jerk." I sighed internally then looked at both books. "I guess Us will be okay." I placed the other book to the side then opened up the book.

____________

I couldn't put it down. It was exhilarating and kept you guessing and making predictions. It took me a while to realize the book was no longer in my hands. "Where's the book?" "Up here." I looked up and saw Ryoken holding it far from reach. "Give it back." "No can do. We need to go." "Fine." I was close to the end and I beat myself up for not being able to finish in time to learn the ending. "Hey, where are you going?" "Counter." I watched as he walked over, but couldn't quite see what he was doing. He turned around while holding a bag. "Did you just buy these?" "Yep." "Why?"

"You really seemed interested in them and I'm sure you wouldn't want to make the journey out here." He held the bag out to me with a hopeful look. "You bought them, so they're yours." He rolled his eyes then forced the bag into my hands. "We're wasting time. Come on." I felt slightly happy due to his generous heart. Maybe he wasn't that bad at times.