Chapter 19

I walked through the school doors in a good mood. Whenever my mind would think of Ryoken, I'd find myself not wanting to push the thoughts away like I usually did. They seemed more pleasant this time around. I didn't know why, but they boosted my good mood, so I didn't think too much of it. "Oho? Is this Fujiki Yusaku smiling I see?" I rolled my eyes as Aoi walked backwards while peering into my face.

"Maybe. What's it to you?" She giggled then walked by my side. "I've hardly ever seen you smile. It looks really good on you, so smile more." I felt a slap on my shoulder then glared at the culprit. "So, what are you two discussing?" Aoi filled him in. "I see. You do look good with a smile. I'm sure other students agree." I looked around us as other students seemed to be eyeing me. I wasn't used to the attention, so I avoided eye contact.

"Was it because Ryoken cooked for you last night? His cooking was surprisingly good." I playfully hit Aoi, but couldn't help but hate that she was spot on. "Please, his cooking just barely passed." "Hey, Yu." I looked at Takeru who seemed a bit down compared to a few minutes ago. "What's up?" "Let's talk after school." I tilted my head as I couldn't fathom what we needed to talk about. He entered the classroom while Aoi and I stood outside.

"I think I see what's going on here..." I looked at Aoi who simply walked past me without explaining what she meant.

____________

I sat down next to Aoi who motioned for someone to come over. "So, besides you two having a chat after school, what else is planned?" I felt this question was mostly directed at me. Probably because she was looking at me when she asked. "Nothing really. Just homework and working on the game." She didn't look like she believed me. It was the truth whether she liked it or not. "Why don't we just be good students and do homework together?" They laughed at my suggestion.

"Let's be realistic here, Fujiki." "Then what do you suggest we do Zaizen?" "Glad you asked!" I started to regret asking. "Let's go see Ryoken!" I stared at her wide eyed. I snuck a glance at Takeru who grimaced. "Let's not. It's far from here and we probably can't just walk onto campus without arousing suspicion. Plus, he's a busy university student. Let's not bother him." "I'm with Yu on this, Aoi." She pouted then mumbled something under her breath.

____________

In the end, we ended up at my place doing homework. "I can't believe I'm actually sitting here doing homework like a student is supposed to." I sighed then put my pen down. "Then leave. You've been complaining for 5 minutes already." "But things are better when done with friends." "Doesn't that apply to homework?" She didn't respond, thus admitting I was right. "Hey, I almost forgot." I looked at Takeru who motioned for me to follow him.

"So, what do you want to discuss in private?" "Are you really just friends with Ryoken?" I nodded. I didn't understand why he doubted me. Did he think I was attracted to Ryoken? "Ru, are you suspecting I'm attracted to him?" "A bit." I internally sighed then scratched my head. "You're thinking too much. I don't swing that way." His face fell slightly. Did I say something offensive? "Ru?" "Well, if you say it's nothing then it isn't. Sorry." He patted my shoulder then went back inside.

I walked back in then noticed Aoi was on the phone. "Who-" I then realized it was my phone. I hurried over then froze as Ryoken's face was visible on the screen. "Oh! Here he is." Ryoken waved while smiling. My heart flipped and mostly likely did a split as well. "When did-" "He called a few minutes ago. You weren't here so I answered." I looked myself over then realized I hadn't properly changed. "So, I hear you three were working on homework. I hope I'm not interrupting."

I quietly sat as Aoi chattered on with Ryoken. "You know, I wanted to visit you today but these two dolts were against it." "Oh? I wouldn't have minded the company." Aoi glared at me and I hid behind my book. "So you're free now?" "Actually, no. I'm finally starting at my part time so I'll be busy late afternoons." I felt myself frown at the news. Did that mean I wouldn't get to see him? "Aw, that means you won't get to see cute and adorable Yusaku." I moved to hit her until Ryoken spoke. "That's true. I think I'll miss that the most."

I quickly left my spot and hid in the bathroom. I dowsed my face with cool water hoping it'd cool me off. I dried my face then looked in the mirror. I was still feeling hot and my cheeks were still tinted. I couldn't go back out there with reddened cheeks as they'd make fun of me. Or make assumptions that weren't true. "Yu, you okay?" "I'm not dying." "So yes. Are you dressed?" "Wh-" The door opened and Aoi came in with Ryoken on the screen.

"This guy was worried about you." I looked at Ryoken then moved her hand to place the phone down. Just when I had started to cool down, I had started feeling hot again. "You're face is red. Are you catching a cold?" "Probably. Yeah." I hoped it would deter the both of them. She lifted the phone again then left without it. "You have interesting friends." "Thank you." I peered down at the screen at Ryoken focused on something else.

"Ryoken, can I confide in you?" "Of course. Would you be okay doing it this way or text?" "This is fine." I sat on the sink while holding the phone in my hands. Was it really okay to tell him this? He could end up teasing me about for god knows how long. "Well, there's this person...and lately when I see them my heart feels weird. It swells and beats faster. Sometimes it skips. I find myself thinking of them and finding the thoughts pleasant. I even want to hug them...what exactly am I feeling..."

He started chuckling then turned his attention to me. "You my dear friend, are in like with said person. Congrats." The one thing I had disapproved of had happened to me.