//chapter two\\

"May all cats gather around the Speaking Rock for a Clan meeting!" Witheredstar's voice boomed around the clearing. The sun shone dimly overhead, at it's highest peak. It was sunhigh, and Nightkit and his littermates had been waiting eagerly for it since before dawn.

Nightkit walked nervously towards the Speaking Rock beside Rubblekit. His brother's eyes were lit with excitement, but he kept his composure. On the other paw, Robinkit was already at the foot of the rock, bouncing up and down excitedly.

Once the three siblings were lined up neatly in front of Witheredstar, and the rest of the Clan had gathered, the ceremony began. Nightkit watched as Witheredstar jumped down and landed neatly in front of the three kits. Nightkit shrank nervously under the tom's gaze.

"You each of reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to become an apprentice," he gave a brief nod of encouragement to Nightkit before continuing. "Until each of you have received  your warrior names, you will be known as Robinpaw, Rubblepaw, and Nightpaw. Robinpaw willl be apprenticed to Tatteredleaf. Rubblepaw, you will be apprenticed to Dawnblossom. And, Nightpaw, you will be apprenticed to Graytalon."

Nightpaw padded slowly over to Graytalon. The tom's eyes betrayed no emotion in their amber depths, but Nightpaw decided that it was better than finding disappointment. Nightpaw stretched his neck upward and touched his nose to Graytalon's who nodded. Looking around, he spotted his litter mates who had stepped to the side. So, Nightpaw did the same.

The young tom fixed his gold eyes back on the ragged furred leader, who was bounding back to his space on the Speaking Rock

The young tom fixed his gold eyes back on the ragged furred leader, who was bounding back to his space on the Speaking Rock. "Also, we have apprentices who will be starting their assessments. Rainpaw, Condorpaw, and Mossypaw will be leaving the camp at moonhigh," he fixed his gaze on the apprentices. "Remember, your mentors will be watching you closely." Witheredstar flicked his tail, and ambled into his den just above the Speaking Rock.

A calico shape came into Nightpaw's view, and he realized his mother had come to congratulate her kits. The green eyed she-cat nuzzled each kit in turn, purring deeply. "I'm sure each of you will be wonderful apprentices."

A brief moment later, Shadowflurry joined the family, pride glowing brightly in his green eyes. He looked to the awaiting mentors, giving them a nod before fixing his gaze on the three apprentices before him. "Well, you three better be off," he flicked his tail. "And don't get in any trouble!"

Nightpaw padded up to his mentor, a bit of confidence returning. He had never talked to Graytalon, not even a simple 'hello' had ever crossed between the too. But, perhaps, Graytalon would make a good mentor. He had observed the young tom, and had noticed that he was awfully quiet most of the time. However, the gray cat was clever, and was great at hiding his emotions.

Graytalon gave a wave of his tail in greeting to his apprentice before fixing his stare on the other mentors. "I would like to split up," the tom's gaze did not waver, and the other mentors simply nodded their heads in agreement.