//chapter seventeen\\

Nightpaw gazed around the frostbitten forest, shivering at the sight of all the snow. He kept close to Rainheart, who seemed unaffected by the white powder. Condorgaze, Wavemist and Finchpaw seemed very different. Nightpaw couldn't blame them.

He recounted the early days of his kithood, where he would bask in the greenleaf sun. He purred.

"What're you so happy about?" Finchpaw looked at him curiously.

"Just thinking of the warmer weather," Nightpaw answered. "I can't wait until newleaf! I heard it was beautiful in the old forest..." Suddenly, Nightpaw's mood dropped. "I wish Graytalon could see it here in the lake territory..."

"He will," A soft tail tip touched Nightpaw on the shoulder. "Have you forgotten that StarClan watches over us, no matter where we are?" Condorgaze spoke with much wisdom, even if he had just become a warrior.

"Why did StarClan have to take him away? If they're watching over us, wouldn't they want us to be happy?" Nightpaw asked sadly. Did StarClan truly believe in their happiness?

"We all die someday," Rainheart mewed, sort of half-humoredly.

"Rainheart, this is not something to joke about!" Wavemist looked at the young warrior sternly.

"Sorry..." Rainheart muttered. Whispering into Nightpaw's ear, he added: "I can be a big jokester, just so you're prepared." The large tom chuckled lowly.

"I hope you aren't planning any mischief, brother?" Condorgaze bumped the blue-gray tom on the shoulder affectinately, and Nightpaw felt a pang of sadness.

But he knew his littermates had already decided to hate him. Rubblepaw and Robinpaw thought he was weak. All Nightpaw could do was prove them wrong. He thought back on Witheredstar's words and pondered on them until the group reached the WindClan border.

The vast moor stretched out in front of him, and a sense of wonder crawled through his fur. What was it like to spread out his legs and run to his heart's content? What was it like to be free? Nightpaw imagined the wind rushing past his face and flattening his black fur. He could almost feel the green grasses underneath his paws.

"Nightpaw?" Rainheart mewed. "We're supposed to be marking the border." The blue-gray cat flattened his left ear.

"Oh, right." Nightpaw hurried and quickly marked the border. Before the patrol set off again, Nightpaw stared at the stretch of land one last time. As he turned around, he spotted the brown, black, and white pelt of Deerstride, however. A brown tabby was sitting next to her, looking at the patrol calmly. "Wait!" He called to the patrol.

"What?" Wavemist turned, his eyes widening in surprise. "Deerstride, Stumpypaw, what are you doing here? You're aware that this is ThunderClan territory, correct?"

Deerstride rolled her eyes. "Of course. Are you aware that medicine cats are allowed to go where they want?" The she-cat asked, annoyed.

"You're aware that we don't have a medicine cat? We need as many of the herbs on this territory as we can find!" Wavemist arched his back. "That's just as low as stealing prey!"

Deerstride bristled and the two seemed like they would leap at each other at any moment. Nightpaw was about to step between the two, but Finchpaw made it first. "Calm down, both of you! It's just a few herbs, they regrow!"

"But our Clan could catch Greencough! Have you forgotten it's Leaf-bare, Finchpaw? Or has Nightpaw dunked your head in the clouds, too?" Wavemist snarled at the young apprentice, who stepped back. Nightpaw felt another pang in his heart.

"Well, guess what Wavemist, my Clan has already caught Greencough! We need this catmint!" Deerstride nodded to her apprentice who's mouth was practically watering over the sweet smelling herb.