//chapter seven\\

The bright yellow sun iluminated the forest, it's yellow light spilling through the treetops. It was sunhigh, and it was a warmer day than usual. Leaf-bare was still a ways off, and Nightpaw was grateful for the warm weather. It had been a quarter moon since he had escaped the LagoonClan camp with Dustshine and Finchkit, and he was also glad to be home.

His paws fizzed with excitement, mixed in with an extreme nervousness. The gathering was tonight, and he hoped he would be chosen to go. But, the thought also scared him. Many cats from all Clans would be there, and Witheredstar would announce the new warriors, and himself and his siblings.

But, Nightpaw didn't have to worry about that now. He had been added to a hunting patrol consisting of himself, Graytalon, Maplewish, and Newtfang. He had proved to be an excellent hunter, his slimmer body making him swift. He was great at catching rabbits that had strayed away from MoorClan territory, and was best when chasing after squirrels.

So far, though, Nightpaw had only managed to catch a small mouse. His leg had healed, but not completely, which made him slower than how he would usually walk. He wondered when it would fully heal.

His mother had scrambled up one of the large oaks. Maplewish had spotted a bird perched on a high branch. Nightpaw's heart lurched as he saw the branch tremble beneath the calico's weight. He watched as Maplewish climbed higher and higher until she was level with the bird. She bunched her muscles and pounced, but the Finch had seen her first and screeched. The bird took off, but Newtfang, who was on the opposite tree, jumped up and caught the bird by it's wings.

The black and orange she-cat battered at it's wings and quickly brought the small bird down. Graytalon finished it with a clean killing bite. Nightpaw was awed at how well the cats had worked together. They must've trained together.. Nightpaw thought, thinking of his own litter mates. Perhaps they could work that well.

A rustle in the bushes caught Nightpaw's attention. He immediately crouched low, his stomach fur just brushing the ground. His tail hovered low, and he had to force it to stop twitching. He sniffed, recognizing the scent of squirrel. He licked his lips joyfully, as squirrel was his faveorite prey.

He pounced, only to discover that it had dashed off and begun climbing a nearby trunk. Nightpaw took after it, slowed by his healing leg. He dug his front claws into the trunk and scaled his way up easily. However, the squirrel had vanished and he snorted in disappointment. He went back down the tree and rejoined the patrol, who were beginning to gather up their catches.

Maplewish carried the bird in her jaws, while Graytalon and Newtfang each had a vole. Nightpaw scooped up his mouse, it's body dangling from it's thin, pink tail. The black tom found himself falling into step with his mentor. "Disappointing you only caught a mouse this time." His mentor commented, looking ahead.

Maplewish's ear twitched and she swiveled around. "Don't talk to my son like that! He caught something to feed the Clan-" she was cut off by Newtfang.

"Would you two stop arguing? Great StarClan I thought it would stop after your apprenticeship!" Newtfang rolled her amber eyes and nudged Maplewish ahead to lead the patrol. Nightpaw figured it was to stop the two bickering warriors from arguing.

However, Graytalon's words stung. He thought he had done good with the mouse, considering he wasn't the best at pouncing. But Nightpaw learned to brush it off his shoulders. He'd make Graytalon proud one day.

As the patrol entered the camp, there was a loud commotion in the clearing. Cats were clustered around Witheredstar, Sparrowsight, and Palespots murmuring anxiously, and even angrily. Uh oh... Nightpaw thought. He bounded towards the crowd and wriggled himself into the front row.