//chapter twenty-five\\

It was dark when the group arrived back at camp. Yowling he knew as Maplewish's sounded, and the group rushed into the camp. Robinpaw immediately flung on to Sparrowsight who was holding Acornfall hostage. Duskflurry was struggling against Tatteredleaf, but gave up quickly.

Nightpaw stopped in the clearing with horror at what he saw. Blood pooled around Maplewish's throat. She was already dead, and Acornfall and Duskflurry we're next. Nightpaw flung his self to his father's aid and clawed Tatteredleaf's shoulder, which caused the tom to let go of Nightpaw's father.

"Quick! We're going somewhere far away! Follow me!" Duskflurry and Nightpaw pelted out of the camp of cats. The noises slowly faded, and he flattened his large ears. While they were running, the others had caught up, panting, with Acornfall leaning on Rainheart's shoulders.

They were at the border to WindClan's territory, and they swiftly jumped across the river. Rainheart took the lead and led them to the very edge of Clan territory, where Nightpaw had spent his practice assessment. He was slightly scared of finding Marion here, but knew that if he came, he would be out numbered.

Once far across the territory, the group stopped. They had all realized it was too late to be walking around in the dark, and it was time to set camp. Rainheart took the lead and ordered Nightpaw, Finchpaw, and Duskflurry to a hunting party. He ordered Rubblepaw, Robinpaw, and Hollypaw off to collect materials for brief nests, while he watched over Acornfall.

Nightpaw ambled beside Finchpaw. The two tried to keep silent, but a look on his friend's face told him that something was wrong. "What is it?" He asked, nudging the brown tabby tom. Finchpaw's pale yellow eyes turned and met his own, and the young tom sighed.

"I'm going to miss Sparrowsight and Darklily," Finchpaw admitted. He looked back toward the WindClan border. "I know I can't go back though. They'd kill me... Wouldn't they? I've never noticed how cruel some things were there. How assessments were... And now how they treat cats who disobey Witheredstar."

Nightpaw felt his heart sink. When Maplewish had died, he thought that had been the bad feeling, but it hadn't gone when he had seen her body. Now he knew what it was. This was goodbye. His best friend wanted to go back, and he knew that it was his job to support Finchpaw in his decision. "Then go... I'll miss you."

Finchpaw looked surprised but nodded. "Very well then... I'll tell the group once we're back."

The two continued hunting until they had each caught a mouse. Prey was scarce and Nightpaw was a bit unhappy with his catch, but couldn't bring himself to complain. Duskflurry found the apprentices and led them back to the makeshift camp where the other three apprentices were setting up nests.

The group settled down in a tight huddle and ate in silence. Nightpaw shared a mouse with Finchpaw, since this was the final time he would ever eat with Finchpaw again. Once they all had finished, Finchpaw stood up and cleared his throat. Once all eyes were trained curiously on him, he spoke reluctantly.

"I have made a decision. I'm going back to ThunderClan. I miss my family, and even though they've done some things, someone needs to fix them. Please, I hope you approve of my decision." Finchpaw gulped nervously.

Rainheart stood up and nodded, and all the others did as well, to Finchpaw's relief. As Finchpaw was starting to go, a "wait" from Rainheart was heard. "I'd like to do something. I know this is a leader's position, but I think you all deserve it. May all the apprentices step forward." They did, and immediately knew what was happening. "Finchpaw, from this day forward, you will be known as Finchlight, Robinpaw, you will be known as Robinblaze, Rubblepaw will be known as Rubblefall, Hollypaw will be known as Hollybloom, and Nightpaw, you will be known as Nightwatcher." Rainheart ignored the traditional ceremony.

Duskflurry, Acornfall and Rainheart yowled the apprentices names into the night, and Nightwatcher felt pride flush through him. He was a warrior! But of what Clan? He did not know. And Hollybloom was right, too. His name would be Nightwatcher.

Hollybloom seemed to notice this and looked at him with warm green eyes. He smiled in happiness. But then the happiness faded. Now it was time to say goodbye. He padded over to Finchlight and nuzzled his best friend. He remembered all the games the two had played back in the old camp, the patrols, all the memories. And as Finchlight walked off, a single tear fell from both the two and Nightwatcher watched until his friend had vanished comepletely. And yet, somehow, he felt that this was not the last he had seen of Finchlight.

The group began settling into their nests, except Nightwatcher of course. He found a rock, and he sat there watching as the stars twinkled above. A soft pelt brushed up beside him and he recognized it almost immediately. A tail wrapped around his slim body and leaned into him.

"We're warriors now..." Hollybloom spoke softly, almost a whisper. She looked up at him. "It's been a good while ever since I attacked you that night... And I wanted to tell you..." Her voice grew more choppy and awkward, and he felt her pelt heat up.

"I love you too," Nightwatcher finished the sentence for her and pressed his muzzle against hers.

"Now what...?" Hollybloom asked after they had parted.

"We move forward. The past is in the past, and there's a good life ahead of us. We know where we're going, and there's nothing that can stop us. We head on to the lost Clan, and make it our new home."

"That is where our story truly begins."