//chapter fourteen\\

As Nightpaw headed home, the squirrels in his jaws, he caught a strong scent of Maplewish, Shadowflurry, and Graytalon. Nightpaw wanted to hide, but knew he shouldn't. They were looking for him, after all. I hope. Nightpaw ran towards their scent, finally spotting his mother's pelt among the snow.

"Maplewish!" His yowl was muffled from the squirrels and he pressed to his mother's side. Maplewish didn't say anything, just licked the top of his head calmly, a deep purr rumbling from her throat.

"Nightpaw?" Shadowflurry and Graytalon chorused as they turned around. Graytalon's eyes sparked with approval for a moment. "I knew your loyalty to your Clan couldn't be doubted."

"I thought you ran away!" Shadowflurry joined Maplewish, nuzzling Nightpaw's cheek. He felt a warm happiness creep into his fur. "Never do that again! But seriously, why did you hurt Rubblepaw?"

Nightpaw broke away from his parents' grasp. He backed into Graytalon who looked down at him sternly. "I don't want to talk about it." He responded.

"Well you have some time to think. You'll be stuck cleaning dens for a quarter moon while your denmates work to become warriors sooner." Graytalon responded sternly.

Nightpaw felt agitation crawl into his pelt. They'll all be warriors, and me and Finchpaw will be the only apprentices! Nightpaw hung his head in defeat. I'll never be a warrior...

The patrol stalked back to camp. When Nightpaw brushed through the thorn entrance, all seemed normal around the camp. A few apprentices shared prey, and a few practiced their battle moves. Witheredstar was sitting atop Highrock as he usually did, and his mate Goldenpounce was trying desperately to groom the leader's matted fur.

Only Finchpaw came forward to greet him. As his parents and mentor went off to do their own things, Nightpaw brightened and grew more comfortable. "What's up?"

"More like what's up with you!" Finchpaw stared at him placidly. "You hurt Rubblepaw. That's not like you."

Nightpaw dropped his tail. "I know..."

Finchpaw glared at him before it softened into what Nightpaw knew as sadness. "At least you have a brother." Finchpaw turned away.

Nightpaw followed him. He needed to help Finchpaw out of his grief. Not just sit around. For StarClan sakes, Finchpaw was his best friend... Or only friend. "Finchpaw... Wait!" Nightpaw nudged his friend over by the medicine den. "I'm sorry... You have to get over this."

"Get over what?" Finchpaw snapped. "I'm fine!"

"No, you're not." Nightpaw argued. "You can't grieve over Wrenkit for the rest of your life!"

"I can do what I want." Finchpaw's pale yellow eyes narrowed.

"Would Wrenkit want you to be sad your whole life because of her? Is that who you want to blame?" Nightpaw shoved his narrow muzzle into Finchpaw's face, so that it was only an inch away from his friends nose. He saw Finchpaw's eyes widen, and then guilt lit into his gaze. He knew he had gotten to his friend.

"No," Finchpaw responded quietly. "She wouldn't. You're right."

Nightpaw nodded. "Promise me you'll at least try to be happy? For Wrenkit?" He titled his gray ahead to the side.

"I promise." Finchpaw agreed. "I won't let you down."

Nightpaw puffed out his chest. He was proud that he might've solved Finchpaw's depression. "Now, wanna share a squirrel?" He had forgotten he had them, and they already laid at his paws. He nudged one to Finchpaw.

"Why not? Birds are better, but whatever!" Finchpaw brightened and munched hungrily into the furry creature.

"Ew! All those feathers? Really?" Nightpaw stuck out his tongue and flattened his ears in disgust. Without another hesitation, he munched into the other squirrel, and they two ended up taking a while to eat.

By the time they had finished, past sunhigh, and Nightpaw was already tired. His muscles ached from the previous run that day, and he was half glad to be on den duty. He liked making nests, especially his own. He would make all the nests comfy with feathers, which usually earned a thanks from his Clanmates.

Although he sometimes enjoyed making nests, he was missing training. His warrior ceremony would most likely be delayed, but perhaps he would be made a warrior with Finchpaw. As he carried a large bundle of moss to the nursery, Witheredstar's voice rang around the clearing.

Dropping the moss, Nightpaw scrambled over to the Highrock. He looked up expectantly. When everyone was gathered, Witheredstar began. "First off, my daughter Newtfang is expecting kits with Antbite!" Cheers rang up around the crowd. "We also have two apprentices who are ready for their warrior assessments. Softpaw and Adderpaw will leave camp tonight and be gone outside of Clan territory for three days." Moor cheers rang up around the crowd. Adderpaw and Softpaw looked surprised.

"Also, the main ceremony that we will be preforming is Shadowflurry's naming ceremony. He has requested this, as Shadow is now a sacred name." Witheredstar rested his gaze on the black tom. "Shadowflurry, is it truly your wish to change your name?"

"It is." Nightpaw's father responded.

"Wavemist. Do you give your son permission?" Witheredstar fixed his gaze on the tom.

"Yes. It would be Fernglow's, too."

Fernglow? Nightpaw guessed that she must've been Shadowflurry's mother.

"Then I, Witheredstar, leader of ThunderClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to know by your new name. From this day forward, you will be known as Duskflurry." Witheredstar jumped down and rested his head on Duskflurry's head. His father licked his leader's shoulder as a sign of respect. Then, cheers broke out again.

"Duskflurry! Duskflurry! Duskflurry!"

Nightpaw's golden eyes glowed. He purred in pleasure at his father's new name. As the crowd broke, he joined Adderpaw and Softpaw in their own mini celebration. "Congratulations." Nightpaw nodded to Adderpaw, and a silent message seemed to pass between the two quiet cats.

"You'll be a warrior someday, too." Adderpaw must've saw some sadness in his golden gaze. "Don't worry about it. I'm sure you'll get the hang of battle training sooner or later. You had some good moves on Rubblepaw, by the way." Adderpaw whispered.

Robinpaw shouldered her way past Nightpaw, giving him a glare as she did. "Congrats Adderpaw!" The calico purred and waved her tail in pleasure. Adderpaw looked a little uncomfortable at all the attention while Softpaw practically basked in it.

And with that, he went off to come his duties in the nursery, making sure Newtfang's nest was the softest nest he had ever made.

A/N:
I think this is the shortest chapter yet, but like I said previously, the chapters are going to be shorter. Well, I hope y'all get t used to saying Duskflurry! I know I'll have to get used to it, so if you see any mistakes, let me know!