//chapter twelve\\

Nightpaw slowly blinked open his eyes, awoke by a light tap on his shoulder. He looked at Hollypaw blearily, the dawn sun just above the horizon. He supposed they were just about to leave again. But, to his surprise, the cream tabby mewed something else.

"It's time for Finchkit's ceremony," she looked into his gold eyes excitedly, and the black and gray tom bounced to his paws. Finchkit's ceremony! No wonder he's just as big as me!

Nightpaw shook out the debris on his fur, which also messed up his nest of leaves and green ferns. His muscles ached though, and he found it a struggle to walk into the clearing where only CavernClan cats were gathered. He supposed Witheredstar only thought that it was CavernClan's own business.

When Nightpaw sat down beside Graytalon, and Hollypaw beside her new mentor Acornfall, the ceremony began. "Finchkit, step forward." Witheredstar ordered. The kit stepped forward solemnly, and Nightpaw knew why. Finchkit missed his sister, and knew that she should've been there. Hollypaw, too, seemed to recognize this.

"You have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to become an apprentice. From this day forward, you will be known as Finchpaw." The leader scanned the crowd until his gaze rested on a particular cat. "Condorgaze. You received excellent training from Shadowflurry, and you have shown much respect and loyalty to your Clanmates. I hope you pass down many of your qualities down to this young apprentice."

Finchpaw padded up to a surprise Condorgaze. The black and white tuxedo tom bent down to touch noses with the skinny apprentice, and then the two stepped to the side and looked expectantly at Witheredstar. Condorgaze's littermates, Rainheart and Mossyspark looked murderous.

"Finchpaw, it is your honor to be the first apprentice of the new ThunderClan," Witheredstar continued. "From now on, CavernClan is no more. We are now ThunderClan."

Glances of surprise rippled around Nightpaw's Clanmates. A tinge of sadness rushed through Nightpaw. CavernClan had been all he had ever known. And now... It was all gone. Grief seemed to course through the whole Clan, but Nightpaw knew that it must be done.

"Finchpaw! Finchpaw! Finchpaw!" A chorus of cheers arose from the new ThunderClan cats, and Nightpaw quickly joined in, wishing he could be the loudest. He pushed his self to Finchpaw's side, a half forced purr arising from his throat. Sparrowsight and Darklily wove around their single kit, purring loudly. "I'm glad I have you in the den now!" Nightpaw meowed gleefully.

Finchpaw nodded, sighing. "Wrenkit should be here." The new apprentice lowered his head and Nightpaw pressed against him as the crowd parted, and all the Clans began to share a quick meal before the travel.

"I know," Nightpaw whispered. "I miss her too. We all do." He remembered how lively and fun Wrenkit was. How much Nightpaw admired her, even though she was younger. The kit had had so much spirit, and yet her life was taken away by a rogue.

Finchpaw stared at his paws. "You should go eat before we move on. I'm sure you're hungry."

"Hey, you gotta live too," Nightpaw nudged Finchpaw towards a small stack of prey that had dwindled to only a few options. Most were mice, though an occasional rabbit or squirrel was mixed in.

Nightpaw dragged out two mice and laid one at Finchpaw's paws. "Eat," he ordered. "I'm not leaving until you do."

Finchpaw rolled his pale yellow eyes. "Fine." The brown tabby gulped down every bite, and when Nightpaw offered the new apprentice his own mouse, he ate it, too. And so, the day progressed and the newly recovered Clans --- ThunderClan, RiverClan, WindClan and ShadowClan went on their way to the new territories.

***

An expanse of moorland stretched out in front of the groups of cats. They had just passed a horseplace, and we're now heading into what was soon to be known as WindClan territory. As Nightpaw created a hill, he gazed upon a large body of glittering, crystal clear water. What saddened Nightpaw though, was that the old WindClan had abanded this place.

Oak and pine trees were on the left, and he guessed that that was where ThunderClan and ShadowClan would go. RiverClan must be on the far left. Nightpaw had never seen the beauty of the old territories, but the lake territories were more beautiful than he'd ever imagined. Nightpaw felt his paws tingle with excitement as the four Clans. And then a thought hit him. What had become of SkyClan?

Nightpaw skidded to a halt with the rest of cats. The WindClan cats began to branch off, and Nightpaw shrugged. Perhaps SkyClan was still there. Right in the territories between ThunderClan and ShadowClan. Nightpaw mewed a quick farewell to Badgerpaw and Cloudpaw, who he had met along the journey. He had found them sometimes annoying, but also companionable.

Next to branch off was RiverClan. Nightpaw said a farewell to Beetlepaw, who had only teased him through almost the whole journey. He thought he found a hint of sadness in Beetlepaw's gaze though, as he turned to follow the rest of his clanmates. As ShadowClan and ThunderClan began to walk group together, the lightest drift of snow fell on to Nightpaw's nose. He blinked, wrinkling his nose.

"Snow!" Rubblepaw cried from somewhere behind him. "Our first snow!"

Swamppaw rolled his eyes. "It's not that big of a deal!" The tom cast an annoyed glance at Rubblepaw, but Rubblepaw didn't seem to notice.

Nightpaw heard a soft patter of paws, and Nightpaw realized Mistpaw had come up. "Hi," he mewed.

"Hey." Mistpaw responded looking away. "Um, I wanted to say bye."

"Oh," Nightpaw nodded, looking ahead. They were nearing towards ThunderClan territory.

"And thank you. If it weren't for you getting attacked by that fox, I don't think I would've ever gotten closer to becoming a warrior. Daywhisker says I'll be one in about a moon. How about you?" Mistpaw turned her green gaze back to him.

"I've still got a looooooong way to go!" He mewed. He remembered his apprentice ceremony like it was yesterday. Then he had gotten trapped in the LagoonClan camp, and was unable to train for a moon. Then he had trained for about a quarter moon, and then... Well then it had really stopped.

"You'll get there someday." Mistpaw mewed. She stayed quiet for a long time until they entered the heart of ThunderClan territory. They both knew it was time to say goodbye. "I'll see you around on border patrols. But don't expect me to go easy in a border skirmish!" Mistpaw winked over her shoulder, and the ThunderClan cats were left alone.

Nightpaw watched solemnly as the ShadowClan cats headed out, Stormstar in the lead with the deputy Plumfrost in tow. He looked away when Mistpaw's white pelt disappeared from view. Nightpaw followed his Clan into the woodland, keeping close to his mentor.

This was unfamiliar territory, yet it ft very familiar. He could smell the scent of plants, and the underbrush underneath his paws felt just like it had in his old territory. He felt at home in no time, and only a few others he noticed looked wary. He hoped they would adjust soon.

After a long while, they arrived at a bramble entrance. The cats filed in one by one, and Nightpaw felt his paws tingle beneath him. He was walking in the footsteps of ancestors before him. He felt a shiver go up his spine, and could almost sense his StarClan ancestors around him.

Mews of amazement came from all cats as the looked around the den. A large rock was in the center of camp, and Nightpaw noticed it was hollowed out. Nightpaw guessed it was Highrock, and also the leader's den. Finally, Nightpaw felt at home again.

A/N:
Ahh!!!! I feel like my writing is so terrible! Sorry for the short chapter, I'll try to fix my writing up!