6 - Together

I sat next to Siyeon against the thick, damp tree trunk. Despite the mist I could see her clearly. Her eyes were shining in the dim forest light. She looked at me apprehensively, as if I were about to shout at her, and honestly, I wanted to. I wanted to rant about the trouble she's brought into my life, how everything has been disrupted, how I wish I had never decided to help her.

But as I gazed at her, I felt something else too, stronger than that anger. I saw her apprehension. I saw her breathing on the brink of hyperventilating. Unshed tears lined her eyes, which both had bags. She looked exhausted. She was just as scared as I was. I remembered her wounds that I had treated. She was being chased and almost killed. I was caught up in it because I helped her. Imagine if she had been taken to hospital? How many people would have been caught up in this then?

And just like that, my anger left me. I deflated.

"Siyeon," I said gently, "what is happening?"

Siyeon let out a sigh of relief. "It's really complicated."

"Do your best to explain, and I'll pay attention. Please." I gave her my best cute pout. It seemed to work, because she sighed again and began to explain.

"I...stole something. I'm a thief," she said. "And a witch. I learned from my parents the powers I possess. What I stole is this." A book materialised in her hand. It was black, heavy, and bound with chains that were sealed by a skull-shaped lock.

I looked at the book, then back at her. "What's that?"

Siyeon rolled her eyes. "A book, dummy."

"I know that, I meant what's in it? Spells? potions?"

"Secrets. In particular, secrets that will help me unlock a power that other witches have only dreamed of."

I raised an eyebrow. "Power means that much to you?"

"Hey, you don't get to judge me," Siyeon snapped. "You don't know anything about what I've been through, who I am. Just know that this is necessary, and I would give anything for it."

"Even your life?"

"Yes.

"Even mine?"

She looked down at her fiddling hands. "I don't know," she said in a low voice.

"At least you're honest," I said. "You can teleport and stuff...can you please take me back home?"

"I will as soon as I can. I'm pretty spent at the moment, I'll need time to get my strength back."

I bit my lip. "Fair enough. Do you have a time estimate?"

"No. It could be a day. Could be longer."

"Then we should find a place to stay."

Siyeon sighed, but she nodded. Placing a hand on my head, she pushed herself onto her feet.

"Hey!" I swatted her hand away. She smirked. My insides fluttered. "Do you know a place to stay?" I asked as I stood up too.

Siyeon put her hands on her hips. "Not in the slightest."

I shrugged. "Then let's just walk in a direction until we find something."

"Sounds good to me."

We walked in silence, grass and dead leaves crunching underfoot. Our breath came in mist. I hugged myself as another little shiver ran through me.

Siyeon broke that silence before too long. "What else do you want to know?"

"What were those creatures? And where did you steal that book from?"

"I suppose I should start from the beginning. That should answer most of your questions."

"Wonderful."

"Hey, you asked for it."

"That's true."

"So," Siyeon took a deep breath, "there's this house. A house like no other. It is the source of all magic. It's where my parents got their powers, and how they gave me mine."

I suddenly had even more questions. How exactly did that house give powers? Could anyone get those powers? Or are there special requirements? Is there a ritual? But I kept quiet and decided to wait until after she was done talking.

"This house is special for several reasons," Siyeon continued. "Firstly, it exists outside reality."

"It what now?"

"You heard me. Outside of reality."

"But how does that work?"

"It simply is. There's a lot us mere mortals can't begin to understand. Picture it as being in another dimension or something if that helps. But it's nothing like that."

"Okay..."

"This house is called the House of Nightmares. Those creatures you saw earlier? Those are said Nightmares. They're guardians and custodians of the House. Like librarians but less scary."

I couldn't help but chuckle at that. Siyeon smiled in response. And I liked it. Her smile was cute. "You say they're like librarians...does that make the House a library?" I asked.

"Of sorts. It's much more than that, being a fountain of all the magic in the universe, but for the sake of simplicity, yes. It's a library, and I took a book without permission."

"Why?"

Siyeon began fiddling. She looked down at her hands and bit her lip. "Because I'm a thief."

I took one of her hands in mine, my thumb stroking the back of her hand. "Why are you a thief? What do you want to do with the book you stole?"

Siyeon was silent for so long I didn't think she would answer. But after several moments, she said in a small voice, "To bring my parents back."

"Oh."

"Don't judge me."

I pulled her in and hugged her tightly. She was initially stiff. Then she relaxed into me and put her arms around me in turn. "I'm not judging you, okay? I would do the same thing in your position."

"You would?" Siyeon's voice was muffled against my shoulder. I was so cold and she was so warm. I didn't want the hug to be over, but of course it had to end sometime.

I let her go and looked deep into her eyes. Her brown eyes. Soft and gentle. And I smiled "I would, Siyeon. It's okay."

She smiled that cute smile of hers again. "Okay."

We resumed walking.