7 - Mirror

We ended up walking for hours. Night had fallen in that time, making the mist even more eerie. A pit of dread had settled in my stomach. I could see barely twenty meters ahead. Where were we? How do I get home? What about my friends?

On top of this, Siyeon had fainted again. This time I had managed to catch her in my arms, and I had been dragging her with her arm around my shoulders for the last hour or so. My legs were burning from the effort. I was exhausted.

It's at this point in the story that we run into a lonely little cottage in the forest. I'm sure you've heard all the fairy tales about lonely little cottages in forests. Do not enter unless you want to be boiled alive by a witch. But this wasn't a fairy tale. It was real life. With real magic, and a real witch slung around my shoulder.

So instead of being afraid, I almost cried with relief.

"Hey!" I yelled. "Hey, is anyone in there?"

The lights were glowing out the windows, so I was sure there was.

"Hey!" I screamed. Then I saw a shape move inside the house. "Yes!"

An elderly man opened the door. He had a weathered, grizzled look about him. His posture was straight and tall. He needed no cane. He glared at me with sharp eyes. "What?" he asked, not unkindly to my surprise.

"We're lost and my friend fainted. Can you help us?"

The old man sighed, frowned, and pinched his brow. He stayed like that for a few moments. Then he said, "Alright, come in." He motioned with his hand and walked back inside.

Not waiting for him to change his mind, I hurried to follow him.

His cottage was a cute little affair. Wooden chairs and table. A soft plush couch. TV. Warmth. Food. He lay Siyeon on the couch and motioned for me to sit at the table. His dinner was already on the table. He went to his little kitchen and served up another plate for me.

We both sat down. I was eager to dig into the chicken and veges he'd served for me, but he asked me the one question I was hoping he wouldn't ask: "How did you get here?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure you don't want to ask who we are?"

"I don't care who you are. How did you get here?"

"Umm..." I stuffed my mouth full of food, using the chewing time to think of my response. Obviously he wanted to know how we ended up in this forest, why we were even in this forest, all of that. But he wouldn't believe a cent of it. I didn't know what to say, so when I finally swallowed my mouthful I decided honesty was the best policy. "I don't know how we ended up in this forest. I don't know where we are. I just woke up in it with my friend and stumbled until I found you."

The man nodded. "What happened before you woke up here?"

I shook my head. "I'm sorry. I don't know. We won't be any trouble though, I promise. Where are we?"

The man shrugged. "I don't know how you folk got here. I don't know how to begin explaining it."

My heart fell. "Oh."

"But you're safe enough in this cottage. Just don't go outside, especially at night. Stay here for the night, but then you've got to be gone in the morning."

"Why can't we stay here longer?"

The man put his knife and fork down and looked directly into my eyes. "Because I know who you are, and more importantly, who she is. I've got to appear neutral."

I felt panic rising. In my chest. Or was that my food? "I don't know what to do."

The man shrugged and resumed eating. "Sorry. That's just how it is."

I dropped my knife and fork and ran to the bathroom. I was hyperventilating. I was dizzy. I didn't know what to do. I was lost, and my only friend was an unconscious witch I'd met yesterday. I ran to the man's bathroom, to the basin, and braced myself to throw up. I looked in the mirror. My eyes had dark shadows. My face was pale and thin. And I did not look happy.

Then I retched and began throwing up. I threw up all of the man's dinner, and then I retched air for a few minutes more. Then I cleaned myself up.

I looked at myself in the mirror again. What a mess.

And then I was smiling. I mean I wasn't, but I was. My reflection was, but I wasn't.

I frowned. What? Just- I don't- ... What??

The smile was friendly at first, but then it turned dangerous. The way Siyeon's did. That look that made me want to let her do all sorts of things to me. I'm lost in the woods, and she's baring her teeth. I wish it was Siyeon instead of my reflection.

Still, I couldn't help but squint. I leaned forward, hoping to get a better look.

My reflection was smirking. Beckoning me with a finger. My chest buzzed. Was she me? Was she who I could be?

I leaned forward further, entranced. Who was she?

My reflection leaned forward too, puckering her lips, which were suddenly painted a dark red.

Oh? My heart fluttered. I never knew I loved myself this much. My first kiss would be with myself. I didn't know what to think about it, but at that moment I didn't care. I just wanted to taste her.

So I leaned forward completely and kissed her. I wanted to feel her lips on mine, but all I felt was cold glass. And then I fell forward, head over heels, into the mirror.